We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: About # of K, species and subspecies  (Read 5474 times)

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
Re: About # of K, species and subspecies
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 02:05:05 AM »
Diploids and tetraploids are generally fertile, and can often produce seed even when crossed with a species of different chromosome count. If both parents are diploid, the progeny will likely be sterile. If both parents are tetraploid, a fertile amphidiploid may result. But triploid plants (C. sativus) are seldom fertile, regardless of the other parent. Because one set of chromosomes has nothing to pair with, meiosis is impeded and usually gametes cannot be produced. But even this rule is not absolute; two sets may pair, and meiosis proceeds with the chromosomes of the remaining set distributed randomly. If by chance a gamete receives nearly the whole set, or nearly no chromosomes, it will function as a tetraploid or diploid gamete, respectively, and can produce a seed. I don't believe having only one or two viable seeds will cause the pod to abort, but this is based on my knowledge of irises and may not apply here. Triploid irises can be coaxed into producing a few seeds if crossed with compatible plants.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Croquin

• Growing Saffron for Polar Bears
Re: About # of K, species and subspecies
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
Thanks Tom,

Now that you have given me a better picture regarding theory, it needs to be put on trial.

I think that I will experiment next year with C. sativus.
I heard vague reports about the possibility to be successful getting seeds in 2% of the cases, although most seeds produced would not germinate.
We will get a better vision from testing.  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal