We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Packeting  (Read 3046 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Seed Packeting
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Whew, just finished packeting my box.  

I love seeing all the different seeds, and often look at them with the magnifying glass, they are such amazing structures. 

Can I put in a plea to donors - please, oh please, don't use those plastic sealed bags for seed, especially tiny ones, they are extremely difficult to get out of the packet and sort.  If you must the plastic ones,  try putting the seed in a small piece of tinfoil tightly wrapped before placing in the plastic bag.  And if you can, could you clean the seed thoroughly before sending  it in please?  I've had to clean 90% of the seed I've packeted, and when you are doing 1,000 packets, that is a lot of cleaning.  Those of you who have sent clean seed, thank you so much, it is truly appreciated.

There, I've had my moan for the day and I feel much better.  Maggi - you may want to move this to Moan moan moan, I wouldn't blame you....

But the good news is, folks, that there is some wonderful seed to look forward to!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:59:07 PM by ChrisB »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Seed Packeting
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks Chris, for this note, straight from - forgive me - the horse's or rather the packeter's mouth and so given with the best possible experience.

I don't think I was guilty this time and in fact I take great personal pride in the clean-ness of seed I send in but some are impossible to clean thoroughly because the seed is exactly the same size as the rubbish which goes through my various sieves. Either everything goes through or nothing goes through. I sometimes spend ages at the back door gently blowing on a slithery plate of seeds in order to have the non fertile stuff float or drop away. (I used to do it over the kitchen sink until Roger lost his rag and went on in a most unreasonable way about blocked drains >:()

A question; for the very fine seed, do packeters prefer it to be wrapped in tinfoil or is a small piece of tissue OK so long as it is properly folded and sealed with, in my case a small piece of sellotape? Now I think about it I suppose the foil is better because you wouldn't have to cut the sellotape. Next year I'll do whatever you say is better, for you.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:18:25 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
You have my sympathy Chris, I find static attraction between the seeds and the plastic is the biggest problem. Wrapping seed in tissue before puttting in the bag would solve this, just like foil would

Back when I used to spend hours weighing finely ground, dried, plant samples for analysis I cursed those people who didn't do as instructed (i.e. send samples in screw-capped glass containers) but sent them in cheaper plastic centrifuge vials. Static would just pull all the sample off your spatula and back into the vial. Everything took twice as long. They eventually learned their lesson when we started charging for the extra time. ;D Seed packeters don't have that option.

For several years when Ken Mellows ran the AGS exchange we did some seed packeting and enjoyed it but had to stop for a while when we moved. Am thinking about volunteering again, despite the headaches you describe ;)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
Hi Lesley,

I did packet some of your seed, and it was in lovely condition.  Many, many thanks!  I'd prefer the tinfoil over tissue as the seed doesn't cling to it the same at all, and it can be carefully folded so you don't need any tape at all.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do packeting next year though, with this new job I've got (subscription secretary)  I'm on a very steep learning curve trying to get to grips with Access and so on.  It will keep me out of mischief, that's for sure.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
Well done for accepting the job Chris.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Thanks Chris. A lesson learned then, tinfoil it will be, next year. :)

And as David says, well done on the job front. I hope it all goes well for you and that people pay their subs on time and don't cause hassles. I've found the 5 year sub very helpful so you won't hear from me until 2013. When you get on a bit, there's a delicate balance - will I be here to make 5 years' sub in one go worthwhile, or should I pay for just one year? I'll continue to be an opptimist I think. :D

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:41:59 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
Oh my, I know that feeling Lesley.  Here in the UK its easy to pay by Direct Debit and that's what I do, so I don't forget and its ok, but its different when you are overseas.  Its going to be a massive challenge to me doing this, so I hope members will be patient while I learn.  The database is complex, necessarily, and after hearing Maggi's comments on the suggestion of dealing with the excess seed, it just gives one a flavour for what is involved in various processes, and the membership one is perhaps even more complex than that.  Its always hard finding volunteers to do key jobs but I just enjoy this club so much and wanted to (try) to give something back.  Wish more people would consider getting involved.  The council are a wonderful group of people to involve ones self with.... so come on folks, dip your toes in the water, its nice and warm.  We really need a new advertising manager and this has been posted elsewhere, its not a very difficult job, but an important one nevertheless, and I need to hand it over to someone so I can get the membership job started well.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
"I just enjoy this club so much and wanted to (try) to give something back.  Wish more people would consider getting involved."
Hear, Hear.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
Chris

As one International Membership Secretary to another - enjoy.

When I became the Cyclamen Society Membership Secretary in January 2006 it was a steep learning curve.  Now I can look back and wonder what the fuss was.  Nearly 500 new members have joined in my time, largly replacing those who have become too old to garden.

I envy you PayPal for foreign members - still trying to persuade the Committee to adopt it.

Arthur
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
"I just enjoy this club so much and wanted to (try) to give something back.  Wish more people would consider getting involved."
Hear, Hear.

One would if one could.

ChrisB

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »
Bless you Lesley, I am sure you would.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
Hear, Hear.

One would if one could.
You do contribute, dear Lesley!
Through the Forum and the Seedex, even those of us at quite some distance from Scotland can feel a part of the SRGC!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:29:28 PM »
Yes I know Fermi, but I want to DO something. A now prominent hort group in NZ plans to have its annual bash in Dunedin in October 2012 but only two people have taken it upon themselves to have it here in the first place, arrange a date, venue and all the other things inherent in a good event. When I suggested maybe other members within the local community would like to be involved with all this it was made very plain that we were neither needed nor wanted. The term "inclusive" doesn't exist in that group.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:57:39 AM »
Too many cooks spoil the broth.....?  ;)
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

joy

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:23 AM »
Quote from: Lesley Cox on November 30, 2011, 09:29:28 PM
Yes I know Fermi, but I want to DO something. A now prominent hort group in NZ plans to have its annual bash in Dunedin in October 2012 but only two people have taken it upon themselves to have it here in the first place, arrange a date, venue and all the other things inherent in a good event. When I suggested maybe other members within the local community would like to be involved with all this it was made very plain that we were neither needed nor wanted. The term "inclusive" doesn't exist in that group.

Lesley, it is a very happy, well run hort group.

edited by maggi  to add the quote from Lesley in Joy's message
+ Hello  to Joy
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:04:48 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal