We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA 2011  (Read 26873 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: FRITILLARIA 2011
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
In my experience frit seed does not germinate until the Spring following sowing. From then it is +/- 5 years until flowering.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
In my experience nomocharis (mentioned above) does not seem to need a cold spell to germinate, but does seem to germinate best at lower temperatures say 50-60F.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
F. michailovskyi will flower 2 &1/2 years from germination, no matter how old the seed in the first place. Seed sown in autumn of 2009 has flowered this spring. I've had the same time frame a couple of times previously as well. Only had experience of the low, one or two flowered form, not the taller forms.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
Only today found time to work on last season pictures. So I can show you some, although far too late.
This very unusual specimen was marked between Fritillaria graeca planted on outside beds. Now it is potted separately. I don't think that this is virus. More likely it is mutation similar to those of F. imperialis cultivars Aureomarginata and Argenteovariegata.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
I came across this
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-propagate-snakes-head-fritillary.html
that explains that very fresh Fritillaria meleagris seed, planted immediately, can be germinated and grown the same season.  Apparently common with Nomocharis species, is this also a common trait among other Fritillaria species?

That's interesting regarding F. meleagris seed.  I don't get seed on my mere couple of bulbs of that species.  But with other Frit species I sow seed of outside right as the seed is ripe and starting to spill; I never get germination until the following spring.  And with Frit seed sown outside, they come up thickly.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »
I came across this
http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-propagate-snakes-head-fritillary.html
that explains that very fresh Fritillaria meleagris seed, planted immediately, can be germinated and grown the same season.  Apparently common with Nomocharis species, is this also a common trait among other Fritillaria species?

That's interesting regarding F. meleagris seed.  I don't get seed on my mere couple of bulbs of that species.  But with other Frit species I sow seed of outside right as the seed is ripe and starting to spill; I never get germination until the following spring.  And with Frit seed sown outside, they come up thickly.

With me Fritillarias never germinated in autumn and I'm sawing them immediately after harvesting. I sometimes observed autumn germinations with Crocuses and Alliums, but not with Fritillaria.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal