We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Comments/Questions SRGC Seed Ex. List No, 65  (Read 22190 times)

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
Re: Comments/Questions SRGC Seed Ex. List No, 65
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
For dogs we have to do thousands of dollars of blood work before they go into quarantine, 5 or6 of the tests take 2 to 3 weeks but can't be done until 30 days prior to arrival. Everything is on a very tight schedule!
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
I don't think we have anything like that but maybe Anthony had to arrange it all at the Scottish end before Heidi came here. Oh dear, and we're thinking of sending Roger and Marley to Aberdeen to look after Poppy and Lily while Maggi's in the Czech Republic. ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:15:35 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

maggiepie

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »
I don't think we have anything like that but maybe Anthony had to arrange it all at the Scottish end before Heidi came here. Oh dear, and we're thinking of sending Roger and Marley to Aberdeen to look after Poppy and Lily while Maggi's in the Czech Republic. ???

Maggi's going MIA?
The forum will fall apart!!! :o :o :o
Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
Don't panic, Helen... if I go there.... Angela has an ipad!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

maggiepie

« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Don't panic, Helen... if I go there.... Angela has an ipad!  ;)

Maggi, have you done the iPad 101 course?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
The Forum will simply relocate temporarily, to Tabor. ;D If I go I will have to get an e-reader of some kind as I can hardly pop into a Czech library and find something I want to read. Don't want to cart a dozen books with me. :o
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:55:15 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Don't panic, Helen... if I go there.... Angela has an ipad!  ;)

Maggi, have you done the iPad 101 course?

I wouldn't even know how to switch it on.... but Angela does!

The Forum will simply relocate temporarily, to Tabor.
It sounds as though Lesley may be right.... we can operate from Tabor, I'm sure.

maggiepie

« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
The Forum will simply relocate temporarily, to Tabor. ;D If I go I will have to get an e-reader of some kind as I can hardly pop into a Czech library and find something I want to read. Don't want to cart a dozen books with me. :o

Lesley, which ones can you buy in NZ?
I have a NOOK which I like.
You can download ebooks from the library for NOOK, it does epub files.
Doesn't do pdf well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »
Well it all seemed so simple Helen, a few months ago when I first read of the Amazon Kindle, here on the Forum. That's it, I thought, just what I want. I went to have a look at it and found about 6 or 8 other types as well, and since then, there must be maybe 30 different makes and models. Mainly I want one for reading. Not too much worried about the other stuff, but it would be good to upload music and of course email - for the conference - and so on, so I'm thoroughly in half a dozen minds at present. There's one being promoted here (only until Sunday night) called a Cruz something, just $179NZ, aimed at school kids starting back now. It looks good but the screen is very small and you can't use it outside because of being LED. What I like about the Kindle is the page looks like printed paper and is less hard on the eyes.

Hey, I like the idea of an epub. Can you just have a G and T or a cool beer without having to go out to do it? Or is it a device with a tap on the side? ;D ;D ;D

maggiepie

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2012, 02:49:57 AM »
Well it all seemed so simple Helen, a few months ago when I first read of the Amazon Kindle, here on the Forum. That's it, I thought, just what I want. I went to have a look at it and found about 6 or 8 other types as well, and since then, there must be maybe 30 different makes and models. Mainly I want one for reading. Not too much worried about the other stuff, but it would be good to upload music and of course email - for the conference - and so on, so I'm thoroughly in half a dozen minds at present. There's one being promoted here (only until Sunday night) called a Cruz something, just $179NZ, aimed at school kids starting back now. It looks good but the screen is very small and you can't use it outside because of being LED. What I like about the Kindle is the page looks like printed paper and is less hard on the eyes.

Hey, I like the idea of an epub. Can you just have a G and T or a cool beer without having to go out to do it? Or is it a device with a tap on the side? ;D ;D ;D

Lesley, the only advice I can offer you is to decide what you want it to do.
My NOOK is just an eReader, it can't do anything else. It doesn't even have speakers.
All you can do is read books. It uses eInk which is much easier on the eyes and looks like a real book page.
If you want something that you can play music on, surf the net, do email AND read books you will need to get a tablet of some sort.
I personally think you would be better off with a good eReader that does nothing else than a cheap tablet.
Oh, one other thing, my NOOK's battery will last up to 2 months, depending on how much you use it each day.
A tablet is good for 8 -10 hours before needing to be recharged.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:58 AM »
I think you're right Helen. After all, what I really want is something to read on the plane, in bed or in the dentist's waiting room etc, nothing high tech. At the conference there will be plenty of others with things to get Forum posts on, and I can read over their shoulders. Roger can do without me (and I without him) for the time I'm away. :D

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »
My surplus seeds arrived yesterday. Thank you so much all the donors and the seedy people. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:10 AM »
My surplus seed arrived yesterday. I requested the "easy ten" and would like to thank whoever put together the little brochure that came with them. Being a novice in the world of rock gardening, it was very helpful to have a few words indicating what to expect of each type of plant.  :)
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
My surplus seed arrived yesterday. I requested the "easy ten" and would like to thank whoever put together the little brochure that came with them. Being a novice in the world of rock gardening, it was very helpful to have a few words indicating what to expect of each type of plant.  :)

Tom, it is Ian Pryde (forumist shooglypeg) who compiles the notes for the Easy Ten.... he is also the chap who gets all the boxes of seed ready to go out around the country to be packeted  and so on......  8)
A thoroughly good man, I'm sure you agree  ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »
Shooglypeg. Now there's a good word. Must think of multiple way in which to use it. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal