We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Androcymbium gramineum  (Read 3032 times)

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
Re: Androcymbium gramineum
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
Darren, I TOTALLY AGREE with you !
it's impossible to define a single rule to grow and rest bulbs.
would be too easy... and boring  ;D 8)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Darren

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »
Darren, I TOTALLY AGREE with you !
it's impossible to define a single rule to grow and rest bulbs.
would be too easy... and boring  ;D 8)

Exactly! Half the fun is working out how to persuade the awkward ones to grow and flower  ;D
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
.......The only useful guideline is to know your plants and the conditions they grow in in nature.

Hmmm - OK, but the guidelines are not always too easy to interpret. Take Crocus robertianus - a plant which I have found difficult. Mathew (p66) describes it as growing “in semi-shade......between and at the edges of deciduous.......scrub. The soil is a  sandstone-shale, rather moist from the autumn to late spring and then becoming rather dry but never hot and sunbaked.”

I took this to mean a  dry but relatively cool summer in the shade. Following this regime, I lost many plants over the years (not "fun" at all). More recently I have had more success by  keeping them outside all the time so they  receive whatever the local weather delivers.

How would you interpret Mathew’s description of the natural conditions?

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
 Knowing the conditions pertaining to the wild habitat of any plant is interesting, but  this is not always the key to success in cultivation. Whether growing plants out of doors or under glass, outwith their natural surroundings it is unlikely that one will ever be able to successfully imitiate their home life. There are just too many variables... it is nearly always a question of trial and error... the fun comes when one doesn't make too many errors!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
Which is why I used the word guideline ;)

The classic example where this fails would be to try to grow american frits by trying to recreate their sticky adobe clay in a pot. In fact I fell foul of a similar mistake when trying to grow Hesperantha vaginata too wet in winter - it also inhabits sticky clay in the wild. I found it very prone to rotting at the neck even in a well drained loam mix in a plastic pot. Putting it in a plunged clay pot and keeping it much drier was the answer.

I lost many arisaema by following the book advice 'dry in winter to avoid rotting'....  Again - a generalisation - and in this case the advice was then re-interpreted in the light of experience (dry means drier - not bone dry).

Based on your experience Gerry I think the key word in the Mathew advice is 'rather' - i.e. no extremes. Though without your experience I would have interpreted it exactly as you did.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
I'm actually quite dreadful to my plants.... I keep them totally illiterate and don't let them NEAR my gardening books.  It is amazing what plants will take when you don't let them near litterature that tells them they shouldn't grow in a given area.  My Beaugainvillea, for example, would NEVER survive here if it knew it wasn't supposed to.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal