We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Gala 2012  (Read 26814 times)

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
Re: Galanthus Gala 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
I would love to meet the elbows of other snowdroplovers. :D
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Is that so terrible, David?  Nurserymen aren't generally found amongst the wealthier members of our society.  If one of them can organise a snowdrop "bash" and make some money from it, well good for them I say.

Or was that irony again and you wanted to point out what a bargain price it is?  

Me ironical? Nah, wrong person, you must have been thinking of Maggi ;D

I'm fairly certain Joe Sharman and Alan Street aren't down to their last halfpennies, but, in any case I'm a great supporter of small British nurseries throughout the year. Indeed most of the Nicholson children's heritage ends up in Nurserymen's hands.

It was only today that Mrs N (who labours long and hard to ensure that our current account costs us nothing, but costs the Bank a fortune to offer it to us and thereby reduces our Banker's bonus) shouted up to me that that nice Gorge(sic) Osborne (is this the same bloke who plays in a rock band and bites off animal's heads?) had further extended the Nurserymen's bounty by paying me a £10 Christmas Bonus. Wonderful!!) I was careful to check, however, that said Mrs N had also an entitlement to her own £10. Now she is of the "magic age" she gets 50% of my Winter Fuel Allowance and this, of course, means a considerable reduction in my bulb purchasing budget.

I have given some thought to organising a Hooped Petticoat Narcissus Gala (very apt since they too all look much the same) and planning is reaching an advanced stage. Ivybridge Chippy and the Indian Take Away are both keen to participate. The Methodist Church Hall (so there can't be a raffle) is likely to be the venue, although it will lack the ambiance of Kelly College. My friend Mike, who grows them too, is willing to open his garden for £6 a throw. All I have to do now is to attract one or two of my most hard-up Nurserymen friends and I'm up and running. £50, all in should just be about right. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Is that so terrible, David?  Nurserymen aren't generally found amongst the wealthier members of our society.  If one of them can organise a snowdrop "bash" and make some money from it, well good for them I say.

Or was that irony again and you wanted to point out what a bargain price it is?  

Me ironical? Nah, wrong person, you must have been thinking of Maggi ;D

It was only today that Mrs N (who labours long and hard to ensure that our current account costs us nothing, but costs the Bank a fortune to offer it to us and thereby reduces our Banker's bonus) shouted up to me that that nice Gorge(sic) Osborne (is this the same bloke who plays in a rock band and bites off animal's heads?) had further extended the Nurserymen's bounty by paying me a £10 Christmas Bonus. Wonderful!!) I was careful to check, however, that said Mrs N had also an entitlement to her own £10. Now she is of the "magic age" she gets 50% of my Winter Fuel Allowance and this, of course, means a considerable reduction in my bulb purchasing budget.

David do you have to be really old to get the £10 bonus?

I have just bought some nice plants with the winter fuel allowance (both mine and Mrs W's) but a bit more is always welcome.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »
Quote from: Tony Willis link=topic=8074.msg222275#msg222275 date=1323375811
[/quote
David do you have to be really old to get the £10 bonus?
Yes.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
David - I'll join you in the hoop-petticoat gala though £50 seems on the low side for rich forumists (concessions for 'senior citizens' of course). Many happy hours could be spent discussing whether there are any real differences.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Thank you Gerry, I had you signed up in any case. Of course it will be free for pensioners (so that's me and you sorted!) I'll just 'soak' Tony Willis and the other "sprogs" to make up the profits ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Tony,

Check your Bank Statement ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
Hello to all,

well yesterday I could reserve some tickets for the gala at the garden house and the one in Tavistock. I'm very excited and hope that I can meet some of the forumists there!
Also, thank you for the e-card in October.

Kind regards, Martina

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
I'm booking a place at David's Gala. It sounds like an occasion I would enjoy.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
I already had you had on the list Paddy ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Hello to all,

well yesterday I could reserve some tickets for the gala at the garden house and the one in Tavistock. I'm very excited and hope that I can meet some of the forumists there!
Also, thank you for the e-card in October.

Kind regards, Martina

I'm sure you will have a great time, Martina.  I hope that Forumists attending will look out for you and introduce themselves.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
I'm booking a place at David's Gala. It sounds like an occasion I would enjoy.

I like the sounds of it too, except that Hooped-Petticoat daffodils always up and die on me so there wouldn't be much point!   
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
Alan, petticoats, hooped or not, have nothing to do with it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Hi Maggi,
what about the Galanthus lovers' ellbows?  :) Hope they are not too hard!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal