We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Gala 2012  (Read 26818 times)

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
Re: Galanthus Gala 2012
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
Three gardens in Cornwall had been open on Friday before the Gala. The first one we visited was Pentillie Castle and Estate, standing within 2,000 acres of mature rolling woods and parkland that overlook the River Tamar. Vast drifts of snowdrops had naturalized there, though, unfortunately, many of them did not show up this year, as the owner said. Nevertheless, we were given an impressive tour through the garden. Here some impressions:
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
The second one open for the Gala was Ince Castle of Alice Boyd, a large peninsular estate and garden with superb views across the Lynher estuary. A wall planted with hellebores and snowdrops was very nice.

SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »
The third one was Nancy Davy's The Little House in Saltash with a wonderful collection of snowdrops. The weather was rather terrible this day, cold and with rain, so I did take no photographs of individual snowdrops, which were closed. But I have never seen a snowdrop theatre before. Here it is:

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Lovely pictures Thomas - I wish I had been on your coach trip. 

That mosaic in the garden of Nancy Davy is lovely.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
We, Mathias and I, were not in the coach but travelling individually - though we met the German group in all three gardens that day.

Yes, the mosaic is beautiful. Quite an unusual presentation.

GoodGrief

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
I thought that moss-covered bench was amazing. Maybe Avon should borrow it for their next Westminster display?

Malcolm.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
I wish I had been on your coach trip. 

Apparently the coach carrying the German galanthophiles got stuck fast in a narrow lane on the way to Ince Castle, too far from the destination to get out and walk.  I think it was there for about 45 minutes before managing to free itself.  So you don't want to have been on that particular coach trip and it's just as well that Thomas wasn't.     
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Crikey... wonder if that was  because the driver was following SatNav instructions, or it's just a very narrow
lane?!!  :D
 Hope we'll have no such difficulty on our coach trip to Dunblane tomorrow.. ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »
Crikey... wonder if that was  because the driver was following SatNav instructions, or it's just a very narrow
lane?!!  :D

Cornwall does narrow very well indeed especially out in the sticks
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
Yes, I imagine it does... and English lanes seem to have high hedge on banks, making them more tricky to navigate and see what's coming....... even narrow Scots roads don't, for the most part, have that "corridor" feeling  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »
Yes, I imagine it does... and English lanes seem to have high hedge on banks, making them more tricky to navigate and see what's coming....... even narrow Scots roads don't, for the most part, have that "corridor" feeling  :-\

Devon's very much the same, impossible to see anything other than road and hedge. Not like Yorkshire of course where all the horizons are big :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
Some good impressions of the gardens, thanks for posting them Thomas.  Nice snowdrop theatre, they seem to be gaining popularity as a way of displaying snowdrops.  At least you don't have to prostrate yourself to smell the scent ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
On Sunday after the Gala the garden of Jo and her husband was open for visitors of the Gala. I loved the woodland walk with snowdrops and the willow allée was great. And very welcome was the hot soup. Thank you so much, Jo!

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Some more impressions from Jo's garden. On the last picture there is a pot with Galanthus 'Mark's Tall', a present from Mark to Jo, growing much taller in the open ground, as I heard, at least in Northern Ireland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
It's about time I dyed the white hairs  :o

Mark's Tall grows to 30cm once settled
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal