We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lachenalia germination  (Read 2107 times)

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
Lachenalia germination
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi there,

I was curious about Lachenalia germination...mine aren't. Everything I read suggests that they are relatively easy with quick germination. The seed was sown in late Septemter. As I write this I realized one factor I did not consider was temperature. They grow cool, but will they germinate a room temperature? It may be a little warm where there are. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Robert
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

Ezeiza

Re: Lachenalia germination
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »
They are easy if the seed is alive but germination is not quick, they take their time. A good range of temperatures for their winter is 4C/13-15C.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I think your room is too warm Robert. I find they like to have cool temps with a difference between night and day. Might be too late in your part of the world to put them outside though - this is what I usually do.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
I have sown Lachenalia orchidoides fresh seeds on 14th September and they have pushed up two weeks ago. They are in a cold frame almost frost free in winter and we have already had temperatures near 0° during few nights.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:22:43 PM by fleurbleue »
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
On the plus side, properly stored (dry, that is), Lachenalia seed yields good germnation ten years old or more.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

ArnoldT

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:43 AM »
I think Darren hit it.

A wide variation in temps is the key to good germination.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice/input. The seeds are already in a cooler location.

Arnold, you mentioned variation in temperature. Do you put your seeds outside in the fall? The reason I ask is you are not that much warmer than here. I am thinking next year I will put others out in autumn, but before frost. I have found great success with hardy material in early spring doing the same.

Robert
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
I see Robert that you are interested in trees. There is an almost new Tree ID thread. Could you have a look there please and see if anything rings a bell? I really want to know what the little tree is which does seem to belong to the hazel family, Hammam..... you know!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:33 AM »
Robert:

My Lachenalia seeds are sitting in a frost free greenhouse.  Temps get as low as 44 F and with warm days right now it gets up to 65 F
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal