We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Azalea pontica  (Read 2797 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Azalea pontica
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »
I have in my garden what was bought as Azalea pontica but a recent Web search seems to call it Rhododendron flavum or luteum?

Last year and this from late Summer it has been covered in mildew.  This year I have sprayed it with fungicide once a week for the last three weeks (as I did last year) but it doesn't seem to have improved any. Is this a species that is particularly prone to mildew and is there any other remedy I could try? Flowering this year was very sparse and I did collect up as many of the fallen leaves from around the plant as I could. I did think I had maybe under watered the plant last year so this year I have watered it well in addition to Nature's bounty :D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Azalea pontica
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
David, this is a plant which is very prone to mildew. There are several in gardens along the road from here which suffer almost every year. I don't believe any of these plants in my street are being treated against the mildew in any way but the plants seem to survive well enough from year to year. I would recommend collecting and destroying the leaves as they fall, if nothing else it'll make you feel you are doing somehing but I believe that climatic conditions are foremost in mildew attacks and spraying is not likely to be much help.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Azalea pontica
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:38:39 AM »
David, this is a plant which is very prone to mildew. There are several in gardens along the road from here which suffer almost every year. I don't believe any of these plants in my street are being treated against the mildew in any way but the plants seem to survive well enough from year to year. I would recommend collecting and destroying the leaves as they fall, if nothing else it'll make you feel you are doing somehing but I believe that climatic conditions are foremost in mildew attacks and spraying is not likely to be much help.

Thanks for that Maggi. It's nice to know that Nature is at fault and it's not just me! :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal