We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2010  (Read 12612 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Nerine 2010
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
My pleasure Maggi  ;) :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
Malcolm,

indeed, is has actually no leafes and lost them at the same time as bowdenii while the N.sarniensis are still in growth. I have never seen N.bowdenii f.alba, maybe there is someone with a picture ???
Best wishes,
Renate

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
Renate, I showed one in October in the Weekly Lisse Flowershow ( and many others in the weeks afterwards :) )
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4969.msg169583#msg169583
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
Here is a white bowdenii that bloomed for me for the first time a year ago.  The bulb came from Cameron and Rhoda McMasters' the Croft Nursery 10 years ago as a very small bulb.  I assume it was a seedling produced from white parents.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
Here is a white bowdenii that bloomed for me for the first time a year ago.  The bulb came from Cameron and Rhoda McMasters' the Croft Nursery 10 years ago as a very small bulb.  I assume it was a seedling produced from white parents.

Jim - Is the bowdenii growing outside for you?  And does it have enough time to make seeds?  Yours appears to be a true albino. Lovely.

My bowdenii 'Pink Triumph' was zapped in the first hard frost Sunday night though the leaves remain untouched.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:32:32 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 12:10:06 AM »
Here in central Indiana (USA), we grow our Nerine in pots.  Some may summer outdoors, e.g., bowdenii, but all winter inside a heated greenhouse.  I did experiment with one lot of bowdenii from Aad Koen in Monster, the Netherlands.  It was hardy outdoors over winter for Aad, so I tried about 30 bulbs of it outdoors here.  After two winters, I had about a half dozen surviving bulbs of it, none of which had even tried to bloom.  I moved them back into pots and now they bloom reliably every autumn.  One is already in bloom here, pictured below.

Our climate is USDA cold zone 5, with lowest winter temperatures occasionally hitting -25 C (about -13°F).  Our summers are warm (average July afternoon high temperatures 86°F/30 C) with warm nights and high humidity.  The summer-rainfall Nerine species do well outdoors in summer here, and winter inside.

johnw

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Jim - My bowdeniis took 20 years to start flowering outdoors, since then they flower every year.  They grow close to the house foundation. Maybe you should try a few spares again?  Hopefully new seedlings I have of v. wellsii - or what was known as wellsii won't take so long otherwise I won't be seeing them.

johnw

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
Besides the bowdenii "Koen's Hardy" I have some v. wellsii reaching bloom size.  I have not tested the wellsii outdoors in the ground.

I could set out a few Nerine bulbs near the foundations of the greenhouse.  I already have crinums and a couple Zantedeschia surviving there.  Hymenocallis liriosme also survives and blooms there.

We do get several Crinum species and hybrids to survive and flower planted out in the open field and left in the ground all year round:  Crinum bulbispermum, of course, but also C. variabile.  These are both much hardier than Nerine are in the ground here.  Has anyone ever gotten a [Crinum x Nerine] cross?  Maybe I should try C. variabile x N. bowdenii.

I had hoped to try some hybrid Nerine for cold hardiness, perhaps bowdenii x krigei; but I have never been able to get that cross to take.  I did get [krigei x filifolia] a couple times, but the ones tested in the ground were lost the very first winter.  How cold-hardy is Nerine laticoma?  Is it frost-resistant?

johnw

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »
Whoops  - see Nerine 2011

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal