We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What's wrong with these?  (Read 3443 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
What's wrong with these?
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
A friend bought a lot of daffodils from another friend who is a commercial grower but found that none of them did any good. This is what he found when he dug the bulbs. Can anyone shed any light as to what might've caused this rotting? The grower suggested bulb mites, but I don't have any experience of them so can't comment.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:14:05 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Surreylad

• it's always worth a try..
Re: What's wrong with these?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Pics 1,2,3 look alot like bulb eelworm fermi
Warwick Furnell, Egham, Surrey.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »
Thanks, Surreylad and Anne for the diagnosis!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
Only teasing dear Lesley.

Fermi, have you brought some of these to your garden?
If so remove them with as much soil as you can and burn the bulbs and soil.
Drench the spots where the bulbs had been with a 10 per thousand formaline solution.
Cover with a plastic and let it in place for two weeks.
Pray.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Brian Duncan

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:40:24 AM »
Thanks, Surreylad and Anne for the diagnosis!
cheers
fermi

Fermi,
Whilst not disagreeing totally with the suggested diagnosis I am not so sure. Nematodes usually cause brown rings to start from the outside of the bulbs whereas basal rot (fungal disease) comes from the base plate up the middle. I'd check brown tissue under a microscope for little transparent wrigglies before confirming the worst.
Brian

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »
Of course it would be great to be completely certain. But, nemtode infection in thousands of onion bulbs look exactly like in your images.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »
Only teasing dear Lesley.

I guessed you were Alberto. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
Fermi, the name of the nurseryman should be given at least as a PM. No case of a few ants here, it can ruin one's gardening forever.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
I'd certainly want to do as Brian suggests before I did what Alberto suggests!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
I'm not so sure Anne. Perhaps the supplier of the bulbs could be talked to because if he/she is supplying all around Australia and it IS eelworm, the damage could be devastating in the long run. One doesn't want to ruin a business of course but maybe there's a responsibility to spread the word about a deadly infection. It is, though, important to find the source, i.e. the bulb buyer or the bulb supplier. But it's more likely to be the latter with huge numbers of the same bulbs grown in an area over a long time.

Unless the buyer is prepared to try Brian's remedy, and it would be expensive? a laboratory exercise? the eelworm cause may need to be assumed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Lesley, Brian's is not a remedy, he is suggesting that the brown tissues be watched under a microscope to ascertain the presence of nematodes. But, if they are not nematodes but a fungal disease it is not slight matter either as it seems to infect a number of bulbs.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
My friend had already discounted basal rot as a diagnosis as the base is still intact for the bulbs until they reach the stage of the final pic.
As I can't be sure where the eelworm originated I can't "name and shame"! If anyone thinks they've bought bulbs from this grower they can PM me the name and I'll say "nay" or "yea" only!
And no, I didn't buy any bulbs myself, so I won't need to do any burning of bulbs and potting mix! I made sure I washed my hands thoroughly after examining the bulbs!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Brian Duncan

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »
Lesley, Brian's is not a remedy, he is suggesting that the brown tissues be watched under a microscope to ascertain the presence of nematodes. But, if they are not nematodes but a fungal disease it is not slight matter either as it seems to infect a number of bulbs.

All,
Before assuming and reporting the worst (ie. nematodes) and possibly destroying the reputation of the grower/distributor it is important, nay essential, to have confirmation and this can only be done by microscopic examination which is easy. Nematodes will attack and decimate all stocks and varieties if not subjected to the Hot Water Treatment that is applied by all reputable growers as a routine preventative precaution. Basal rot fungus, though it can be a serious scourge  is related to storage conditions & temperature and some varieties (notably whites) are more susceptible than others. It will seldom decimate a whole crop like eelworm. Keep bulbs cool and dry during storage  - a dip in almost any fungicide after lifting helps to avoid basal rot. But be warned - if the problem is eelworm then the dip will aid the spread of the eelworm to all bulbs in the dip unless a sterilant is added eg. the traditional formalin at rate of 2fl ozs to 21/2 gallons (4 pints to 100 gallons) - sorry not metric !!
Brian

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »
Brian's advice to be sure of things before possibly tarring some innocent soul by association or rumour is always a good idea!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal