We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris sibirica-cultivation  (Read 1747 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris sibirica-cultivation
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
Visited Cotehele garden in Cornwall today and noticed that they had cut down the foliage on all their Iris sibs to about an inch or so from the soil. I've never done this so early, nomally it's a winter job for me, but it would make the job of spreading mulch a lot easier. Does any one else cut theirs down this early?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Iris sibirica-cultivation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
David ,

I cut also all my Iris ( most I.barbata ) in August - I have learned this by lections from the famous Iris nursery Graefin Zeppelin :
http://www.staudengaertnerei.com/

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
I'd cut them back late in the autumn when they were looking really tatty but if it works for them....?
With the tall beardeds I generally trim then at about 25cms, a month or so after flowering, or at when I'd divide them if I were going to do that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
Many thanks folks. Think I'll give it a go.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
I never cut green foliage unless I'm dividing and replanting. I regard it as a cosmetic measure that does not help the plants, and may actually weaken them. Of course, I'm happy with a garden that has a somewhat "naturalistic" look and is not overly tidy.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
Thanks for your view Tom.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
I agree with Tom, though I think it would be safe to cut once the foliage began to take on a yellowish tinge. The greenery contains the nutrition and means to build towards next year's flowering. Long and vigorous foliage is the price we pay for that. And in the case of siberians, the mature foliage waving in a breeze is a beautiful sight.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal