We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Androsace Group - new online resource  (Read 1244 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Androsace Group - new online resource
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
Just to advise that the Androsace Group is to cease and instead to become an online group and part of the AGS web forum later this autumn. It will now appear as a discussion topic entitled Androsace and will act as a resource of the Group's newsletters and publications as well as a picture gallery and a discussion site.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: Androsace Group - new online resource
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Pity

you must be member

"To register as a user of our website, you need to be a member of the Alpine Garden Society"

same as 16 months ago
If people ask something and nobody replies
if a non member knows the answer
its impossible to help

even when I send the answer to the AGS
they didn't place it

You can't be a member from all societies

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »

You can't be a member from all societies

Roland

We try, Roland .. we try!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »

.....If people ask something and nobody replies.......

Not unusual on the AGS On-Line Discussion ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
One can't help but notice that the contributors to the AGS Online Discussions about anything, are active posters to this Forum.

Apart from possible financial constraints preventing membership of many groups at a time, each of us has just so much time to spare from work and other commitments. I remember a couple of years some time ago when a seed exchange - I think it was the AGS - had such requirements of the donors that it all became too hard and I gave up for quite a while. As well as proper harvesting, cleaning, packeting, labelling, one had to include information about locality (if collected, fair enough) but also whether an annual, biennial, perennial, tree, shrub, what colour the flowers were, how tall it grew, whether it bloomed spring, summer etc etc. My major reaction to all of this was that many donors would be completely put off donating - as I was. One might expect those asking for seed to do a little research of their own.

The wonderful thing about SRGC and especially this Forum is that it is so totally inclusive of everyone's tastes and makes it possible to share experience, as well as tolerating our little foibles.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:09:55 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
I remember a couple of years some time ago when a seed exchange had such requirements of the donors that it all became too hard and I gave up for quite a while. As well as proper harvesting, cleaning, packeting, labelling, one had to include information about locality (if collected, fair enough) but also whether an annual, biennial, perennial, tree, shrub, what colour the flowers were, how tall it grew, whether it bloomed spring, summer etc etc. My major reaction to all of this was that many donors would be completely put off donating - as I was. One might expect those asking for seed to do a little research of their own.  

Lesley, I've never seen such detailed requirements from donors on a seed exchange  :o certainly on the AGS we haven't ever asked for this detail.  NARGS have had an extra column on their form for colour and height, but I think it is only required for unusual varieties or "sp" to help with their listing.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »
It could have been 20 or even 30 years ago Diane. It only lasted for a couple of years so maybe others commented that it was getting to be in the too hard basket.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
Don Peace has posted that he has found some old Androsace Group material and has included some of it already on his  own, excellent  website www.lentune.net

Don posted to the  Facebook Group, Friends of the AGS, but I know many of us here miss the old Androsace Group - and it's prime movers, such as David Mowle, Duncan Lowe ( who allowed SRGC to sell many of his paintings and drawings of Androsaces  after his death https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14198.0     ) and George Smith.

Part of Don's post :
 "I’ve managed to dredge up the bulk of it from old hard drives and decided that I could put the stuff that still has some relevance onto my current website. It can sit to one side – at least in the interim until I sort it out . This may be a slow process because May is not the time of year for sitting indoors in front of a computer! It currently looks semi-presentable so perhaps worth sharing. There are some well-known names amongst the contributors of articles in the Notebooks and indeed some of you will be able to re-live old memories.
Access http://www.lentune.net and follow ‘Links’ at the top right. It’s best on a computer, decent on a tablet, but not brilliant on mobile phones!!

Great news and a most useful effort from Don.   Thanks, Don!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:26:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal