We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2011  (Read 26890 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2011
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
David - According to Jim Archibald N. jeanmonodii (of F.Casas) is a N. African plant which Maire called N. bulbocodium subsp nivalis.

By the way, Jim describes the plant as having upward-facing flowers with much exerted anthers. Your plant doesn't seem to look like this.

Edit: I can't find this in Rannveig's 2010 list. In her 2000 list she has it under Maire's name.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:22:40 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
The dyslexic BD tends to write the name of this narcissus as jeanmondii.... I'll get him trained one of these decades...... :-\

This name is one described by Fernando Casas and is basically a  geographic variation of nivalis, I think.

Ours (under the name  jenamonodii) are always upward facing.... think Star-gazy pie!

Have a look at the comments in Bulb Log 11/11 page....http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6922.0   and in that log itself: http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2011Mar161300283163BULB_LOG__1111.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »
Thanks Gerry and Maggi.

I was wrong, I got mine from Brian Duncan, (BD not BT-handwriting problem again!) think I'll drop him a line and get his view. Will report back.

Mine doesn't look like Ian's in Log 11 15 March 2011, and mine, on that basis, is very early! Maybe it does look more like Anne's jeanmondoii ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:57:38 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »
Gerd Knoche is sharing with us  details of a method to use to gain better flowering from Autumn flowering narcissus.... I have given this its own thread :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8183.0    8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:58:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Maybe it does look more like Anne's bulbocodium ssp nivalis ???
What what what???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
Maybe it does look more like Anne's bulbocodium ssp nivalis ???
What what what???

Sorry Anne, getting myself confused (not difficult to do) what I was trying to say was that my jeanmonodii(?) didn't look like Ian's but there were similarities between mine and yours. I've edited my previous post.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
I think it is N. bulbocodium L. subsp. nivalis Graells, or var. nivalis (Graells) Baker. In Flora Iberica is only supported N. bulbocodium L.
In my oppinion it is of course N. nivalis Graells, a plant that only grows from Gredos to Guadarrama Mt. Ranges and North Portugal.

Quite off topic, but anybody has any information about Narcissus jonquilla L. f. stenantha? could anybody send me the e-mail of Mr. Fritz Kummert
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:41:46 PM by Rafa »

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
I think it is N. bulbocodium L. subsp. nivalis Graells, or var. nivalis (Graells) Baker. In Flora Iberica is only supported N. bulbocodium L.
In my oppinion it is of course N. nivalis Graells, a plant that only grows from Gredos to Guadarrama Mt. Ranges and North Portugal.

Rafa, I have some small N. bulbocodium ssp. nivalis plants from seed collected in the Cantabrian Mountains at 1900m (Pavelka). The geographic range you describe for this subspecies is much more south... Can you please comment on it?

Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
To be fair on NZ MAF: if a seed has a new name, but can be traced back to an old name of an allowed species it is OK, and if they don't find the connection they will accept it if you can prove its pedigree. I have trouble getting my head round things like finding "Alstroemeria yellow" is on the allowed list but "Alstroemeria patagonica", which has yellow flowers, isn't! :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Rafa

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
To be fair on NZ MAF: if a seed has a new name, but can be traced back to an old name of an allowed species it is OK, and if they don't find the connection they will accept it if you can prove its pedigree. I have trouble getting my head round things like finding "Alstroemeria yellow" is on the allowed list but "Alstroemeria patagonica", which has yellow flowers, isn't! :-\
All this MAF names are absurd, they don't even know what are they talking about...

Rafa

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Hans, the plants you motioned are not N. bulbocodium subsp. nivalis, the geographical distribution of it is very little in Central Spain and North Portugal. This is a plant that I know very very well because I live in one of the places with more localities Guadarrama Mountain Range. It's a very variable species.
The plant you mentioned grows  in all the north of Spain from Galicia to French Landes (also in Burgos) It has named with many names: ej.
Narcissus juressianus, Narcissus turgidus, subsp. lainzi, subsp. validus... all are the same plant, but the name is another case. I doubt between supporting  subsp. validus and N. turgidus.
I am lately against consider many subsp. of N. bulbocodium and considered them as valid species thinking also in their geographical distribution. For example I supporting Narcissus nivalis Graells, before Narcissus bulbocodium L. as they are very different plants to me and also concerning their hybridisation relation with other Narcissi.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
What we need is a nice new monograph... :-*
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »
Thanks Rafa! It shows that geographic information can be very important to assess whether a species indeed is what it was labeled, even without flowers present... Provided that the collection locality is correct. But that is much easier than the taxonomy of Narcissus ;D

And Anne is right...we all desperately wait for a new monograph :)
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Gerry Webster

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
What we need is a nice new monograph... :-*
We do indeed, but how likely is that? I am not holding my breath.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
Hans, in my oppinion,  I considered in Narcissus it is very important the geographical distribution because it has had evolutive consecuences, it is having and it will have consecuences.
An example of my observations in the nature about it: N. bulbocoidium L. it's a plant that grows in Toledo, Ciudad Real, Extremadura.. in the places where it is growing with N. jonquilla, N. cantabricus, N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus... When the blooming time between N. bulbocodium L. and N. cantabricus it's the same (due the environmental conditions), they produce hybrids in both directions and the procces of speciation starts, evolving to N. albicans. The opposite case in the same crosses between N. nivalis and N. cantabricus, here there is only one direction in this hybrid, and they won't evolve to another species. So, if we consider this as a valid process (not proove, just my theory) we could see that N. albicans has a geographical distribution similar to N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium L. but  you never will find N. albicans version in a N. nivalis distribution.

Imagine N. x alleniae would be an species, the logical distribution will be Cádiz/North Morocco, where the parent lived in other time. Well this is the same, if we think in the rest of species, the problem is that we can't know the distribution of the ancient parents.

Please, don't think this is a valid theory scientificly prooved, it is just my theory.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:07:44 PM by Rafa »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal