We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Method to prepare autumn season narcissus to flower  (Read 3114 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Method to prepare autumn season narcissus to flower
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
After sending my last pics of autumn flowering daffodils I now start a short report of my new method for a summer treatment of bulbs which need special conditions (baking)  in order to develope flowers.  It was tested successfully on nearly all Narcissus species which were chosen for a first run.

I started the heating period at June 13 th and finished at the end of August.
During that time the bulbs including their labels were stored totally dry in paperbags of 10 x 20 cm. They came into the inner box where a temperture of about 25 ° C was given.

The here pictured ΄warming box΄ was recreated after an example of  Professor Theo Sanders from Essen, a renowened daffodil breeder with a preference for autumn flowering species.
The dimensions of the outer box  are 50 x 50 x 50 cm, the inner box (placed on a rack) is 40 x 40 x 30 cm.
Heating is by means of an eighty-watt bulb which could be replaced by a heating resistor if
the bulbs were no longer available. Temperature control with a thermostat. The warmth of the lamp is spread evenly inside the interior by a fan.

I hope this description is understandable to some extent – I tried to do my best.

I am convinced that by using this method the cultivation of bulbs with a need for summer baking in northern cold and wet regions could be practised more efficiently.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Method to prepare autumn season narcissus to flower
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Gerd, this is MOST interesting.... and..... I think it deserves a thread of its own so it is easily found  8) 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
I think I'll check the temperature in my airing cupboard.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
fantastic, Gerd!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
Mmm! June 13th? That's next Tuesday in New Zealand! Sunny and 25oC here today, but then where I live is  36° 54' 35" south of the equator. That's the equivalent of southern Spain!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal