We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 12330 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
Bill

I would give all but N. pncrebar a place in my collection.  Stunning plants :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
Looking at your pics Bill I think the little double I asked about a week or so ago, must be 'Pencrebar.' I quite like it as it happens.

Your pannizianus certainly have many more flowers than the show one Bill but while already my memory is losing it, I seem to remember that it was ENTIRELY white, no touch of yellow at all. I may be wrong about that but it was the pure whiteness that made it stand out for me.

I didn't take my camera in case I was tempted to take pics of some of those huge and appalling things with split cups, muddled centres etc. I would have only done so to be very rude about them, so better not. Your selections on the previous page are lovely and I EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR NEW CATALOGUE!!!!!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
What does Kokopelli mean Bill? There's a place down the road from us called that. They raise alpacas but have a silhouette type picture of what seem to be dancing aborigines, on the mailbox.

I read Bushtit as something else. Better not go there. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

I read Bushtit as something else. Better not go there. ::)

;D ;D ;D

Since the name "Pencrebar" crops up quite a lot in Cornwall (names of farms, places etc.) I had assumed that the original raiser might be have been Alec Grey but it seems not. Daffseek show it as being registered pre 1929.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
What does Kokopelli mean Bill? There's a place down the road from us called that. They raise alpacas but have a silhouette type picture of what seem to be dancing aborigines, on the mailbox.

Lesley, Narcissus Kokopelli is named for the flute-playing fertility Aztec god of the Anasazi Indians, this Jonquil brings a profusion of sweetly scented, two-tone yellow blossoms. 'Kokopelli' is the recipient of an Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society and the Wister Award from the American Daffodil Society. Midseason. The breeder is Kirby Fong from the USA I believe.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Mini-daffs

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
 ;D
Hi
Kokopelli is a famous hybrid that was bred by Bob Spotts who lives in California in 1993. It is a 7Y-Y and tends to vary from dwarf to standard depending on the climate. Bob Spotts is well known for his amazing viridiflorus hybrids. Most of those who hybridise daffodils on any sort of scale know the other hybridists (I better be careful as that other well known hybridist, Brian Duncan, is known to visit this site).
Graham, Canberra, Australia

arillady

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
Bill you have some amazingly lovely miniatures. I love them all.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »
;D
Hi
Kokopelli is a famous hybrid that was bred by Bob Spotts who lives in California in 1993. It is a 7Y-Y and tends to vary from dwarf to standard depending on the climate. Bob Spotts is well known for his amazing viridiflorus hybrids. Most of those who hybridise daffodils on any sort of scale know the other hybridists (I better be careful as that other well known hybridist, Brian Duncan, is known to visit this site).

Graham, thanks for correcting the name of the breeder of this popular cultivar Kokopelli. I was not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:37:23 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal