We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 12343 times)

Mini-daffs

Re: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
 ;D
Hi
We are somewhat reclusive so this is one way for people to see our hybrids.
Lesley, interesting to note that a lot of people have looked at the split cup triandus!
While it is the end of the season it is an exciting time because we have some truly fantastic late flowering seedlings - miniature and standard flowering. I only took a few photos today but the miniatures are something special.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Some apodanthe hybrids.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
Displaying my ignorance of most things Narcissistic, I have to ask what does apodanthe mean? I can only think of, perhaps, sterile, as in a=without and pod=seed, but that doesn't seem likely. :-\ Whatever, they are very nice. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
Agree with you Lesley the littlies can come live in our garden anytime.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Brian Duncan

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »
Narcissus dubius: another interesting very small and dainty looking species flowering for the first time.
Bears clusters of up to 6 pure white flowers, carried on stiff stems. It is slow to increase and is better off in a pot rather than an open border.
This species is flowering just in time to be used in a spot of hybridizing with selected species and other fertile varieties of interest.
Gerry,
I fully undrstand your frustration with the so desirable N. dubius - I also tried for years, with bulbs from different suppliers, without success. Having seen them grow wild in S. of France and central east Spain in almost desert conditions it is obvious they need a summer baking. At last I had success by having the bulbs held at 25C for 3 months in  the summer - after this treatment they all flowered beautifully. The Hot press might be the place to store them.
Brian

Mini-daffs

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
 ;D
Hi
Brian, I would not think there would be anything of interest to you among our "weeds" from the back paddock? Maybe the small red poeticus hybrid or the small 3W-YYR in this post.
Lesley wonders never cease because one of our latest flowering daffodils is an 11W-P!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:02:03 AM by Mini-daffs »

Mini-daffs

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »
 ;D
Hi
While the end of our season is in sight here are a few more photos.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:03:02 AM by Mini-daffs »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
This weekend was the local daffodil show and I saw a little honey I'd not seen before, N. pannizianus.
It wasn't named and fortunately the man I asked what it was (Alan Brown a well known local grower,) happens to have some or will have, in the summer, for sale. I've ordered 3 but thought it better not to ask how much they'd be. ::) Five tiny pure white flowers on the stem, and nicely fragrant. It won a 1st.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:44:35 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mini-daffs

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
 ;D
Hi
Lesley, some photos of N. pachybolbus from the archives. It is just starting to flower now so it is very late this year.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
Is this the same as pannizianus? The one in the show was very fine and delicate looking, as if made of fine porcelain. Frustratingly, Wells mentions pannizianus only once, in the introduction to his book and only to the extent of merging something else into it. Nothing about the ssp itself (N. tazetta ssp pannizianus). Alan said it grew to 20cms.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:45:13 PM by Lesley Cox »

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
Lesley Narcissus pachybolbus is a species from north Africa (Algeria for example) from Dubius group. For some authors N. tortifolius is fact N. pachybolbus, and other authors consider N. tortifolius is N. dubius. ???

N. panizzianus, N. papyraceus and N. polyanthos, are considered the same species in Flora Iberica. I only support N. papyraceus and N. panizzianus as different subspecies.

One of the most disctinctive character between N. papyraceus and N. dubius groups, are the section of the scape (circular in N. dubius/N. pachybolbus and N. totifolius, and elipsoidal in N. papyraceus/N. panizzianus)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Thank you Rafa, that helps me.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »
This weekend was the local daffodil show and I saw a little honey I'd not seen before, N. pannizianus.
It wasn't named and fortunately the man I asked what it was (Alan Brown a well known local grower,) happens to have some or will have, in the summer, for sale. I've ordered 3 but thought it better not to ask how much they'd be. ::) Five tiny pure white flowers on the stem, and nicely fragrant. It won a 1st.

Lesley, while on the subject, I also grow this little miniature N.pannizianus as well, it only grows up to 20 cm, but with more flowers per stem, not sure if the same species but still a little treasure. Very early with us, flowering from early August.
Originally I acquired it from the late Max Hamilton a few years ago, a well known, knowledgeable daffodil grower/breeder.
A pity you did not take a picture, how does it compare with the one from the local daffodil show?
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »
Here are some of the mainly miniature species and varieties we exhibited at home and the local shows in our area.
The weather has been very kind to us the last week, mainly fine with little wind, ideal for showing the mini's.
The daffodil season is slowly coming to the end, with perhaps a few late arrivals and the Narc.poeticus to come.
Enjoy.  

N.Angels Whispers
N.Bushtit
N.Dainty Monique
N.Fairy Chimes
N.jonq X N.concolor
N.Judy Cotter
N.Kokopelli
N.Lively Lady
N.Niade

N.Segovia
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:27:57 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Just a few more, let me know if you get sick of them  ;D ;D ;D

N.Stocken
N.Tweeny
N,Laura
N.fernandesii
N.Beesknees
N.Pencrebar
N.Sabrosa
N.Sundisc
N.Xit
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal