We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 12331 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Narcissus dubius: another interesting very small and dainty looking species flowering for the first time.
Bears clusters of up to 6 pure white flowers, carried on stiff stems. It is slow to increase and is better off in a pot rather than an open border.
This species is flowering just in time to be used in a spot of hybridizing with selected species and other fertile varieties of interest.

The second picture is a nice N.cyclamineus X N.jonquilla seedling which produced four charming little flowers per stem.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:42:00 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

Re: September 2011 Narcissi in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
Bill  I am looking forward to the day you put those bi coloureds on a catologue, will be a good 4-5 years before I will see any of mine.
You can always add a special price list to me with this years usual one  :P
Ta  Kees

Kees, thanks for your interest in our miniatures, and wished I could speed up the increase of these desirable new mini bulbs.
Some of the more popular new seedlings, which we often only have a few bulbs of, and if we want to put them on our price-list, we need to build up stock first, it's a slow process which could take a few more years.
Depending on the increase and numbers, some could be available in the near future. We also have to grow the new seedlings on for a few more years to to find out if they are consistent in their improvement, shape, vigour, colour, and other desirable characteristics.
Sometimes certain seedlings flower once and than disappear forever, while others thrive and make good progress, with more trials and testing.
Climate zone 10

Mini-daffs

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
 ;D Hi
Part 1. The first flower is very unusual. A miniature cyclamineus hybrid that is both a double and a split cup! I will be posting a mostly intermediates and miniatures. The miniature 7Y-Y could well be considered a split cup by some but I suspect the judges would just say deep scalloping! It is a cross between N. cordubensis and N. rupicola.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

arillady

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »
I hope that you both will make some straight species crosses to increase the species.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
 ;D Hi
Todays photos should appeal to those who like something different with colour! I probably need to issue a warning that there are photos of quite a few split cups!!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »
Narcissus dubius: another interesting very small and dainty looking species flowering for the first time.
Bears clusters of up to 6 pure white flowers, carried on stiff stems. It is slow to increase and is better off in a pot rather than an open border.
This species is flowering just in time to be used in a spot of hybridizing with selected species and other fertile varieties of interest.
Very nice too. I'm just embarking on my third (& last) attempt to grow this species - I've only tried it in pots. What is the secret of success?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
 ;D Hi
Part 3.
Pat we don't use our extensive species collection for hybridising. Yes, we do propagate our species. However, from a business point of view we have found it unrewarding because people are not prepared to pay a reasonable price for them and it is one area where we have found people wanting something for nothing. Most of our hybridising these days is done using our extensive collection of fertile miniatures and intermediates. It is involved breeding and you are more likely to end up with advances this way than just doing crosses from the species.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
 ;D Hi
Part 4.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
 ;D Hi
Part 5. Our N. tenufolius is a very tiny form that we look after very carefully. It attracts a lot of attention at shows because they are probably the smallest daffodils people have ever seen.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Very nice too. I'm just embarking on my third (& last) attempt to grow this species - I've only tried it in pots. What is the secret of success?
I'm trying again too. I suspect the secret lies in moving to Tauranga! I have just sown some seeds. I had bulbs in sunny D, but I think Mark has them now?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Mini-daffs

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
 ::) Hi
N. dubius is one species that is notable here because it takes approximately 10 years to flower when planted from seed! It likes it hot and dry. It has been used a lot for hybridising by Harold Koopowitz in California.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

Gerry, sorry no secrets or special attention, apart from a sheltered, sunny position a good baking and drying off hard after flowering.
Let us know in another 10 years how you got on?  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:06:52 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Mini-daffs

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
 ;D ;DHi
N. dubius from seed is something you should do when young. There are a few others that take a similar period. It probably explains why they are not seen in trade all that often.
I have attached a photo of our 1A-A. Photo does not do it justice in terms of colour. Form is pretty poor but there are not many all apricot daffodils around.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
I hope that you both will make some straight species crosses to increase the species.

Pat, you're right, I always grow, sow and straight cross plenty of the species, especially the cyclamineus, triandrus, watierii, dubius, jonquilla, etc.
There is nothing like a potful of the charming Narcissus cyclamineus species in full flight, or dainty Angel Tears, where the flowers can be admired and appreciated at close quarters in perfect condition, despite the cold and wet inclement weather outdoors.
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »
;D Hi
Part 1. The first flower is very unusual. A miniature cyclamineus hybrid that is both a double and a split cup!
EEEEEEK!!! ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal