We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Summer flowering Gentians  (Read 10783 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Summer flowering Gentians
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »
G. 'Ishu Zuki'

or Gentiana scabra ssp. ishuzuki

I gotta have a pink one ;D Pic of an example at an AGS Show  http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/atshows//Loughborough+Autumn+Show/299/?page=2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
That super photo by Jon Evans is of a plant from our chum "The Butcher", Alan Newton..... I must ask him where he got it. :D
It's pretty.... but I can't see past the blues really.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 06:02:51 PM »
That super photo by Jon Evans is of a plant from our chum "The Butcher", Alan Newton..... I must ask him where he got it. :D
It's pretty.... but I can't see past the blues really.

This one came from Anthony when I picked up a couple of troughs from him last year. I think it's from Edrom but they don't have it listed at the moment.
I'm like you Maggi, Gentians are blue. I probably wouldn't have bought this from a nursery though its quite nice. My collection of Autumn flowering Gentians has this pink one and a white one which my wife persuaded me to get :-\ The rest are blue.
Should have some more photos in a week or so.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Knud

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
Very nice Knud. Is 'Gunvor' a new hybrid I haven't heard of it before.

Thank you, David. It is an old hybrid (certainly from before 1997/98 when I got it), but it has not been formally registered with that name. And you are right, Maggi, it is the same lady. Gunvor and Jostein Øverås selected this plant from seeds of Gentiana sino-ornata hybrids obtained from Jack Drake. They sold it under the name Gentiana 'Gunvor' from their little nursery for a number of years, and I would think is blooms in many Norwegian gardens right now. It was selected for being floriferous with large flowers of good colour, and it starts blooming relatively early (not a disadvantage in here).

Knud 
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
The last of my small collection of autumn!! flowering Gentians to flower, Gentiana 'Eugens Allerbesta'  Sorry for the pretty poor close up it was my fourth attempt and couldn't get it in focus.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal