We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pollinating cyclamen  (Read 3159 times)

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
Pollinating cyclamen
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:20:31 AM »
I have brought Cyclamen graecum indoors and out of the rain. I am now pollinating the flowers by hand.
My question is: Will there be any way to tell if my efforts are successful without waiting the weeks or months that it will take for the seeds to develop? Does the flower stem not curl up perhaps, if unfertilized, or some other such obvious tell?
Your thoughts appreciated.
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Pollinating cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:34:55 AM »
Greetings Len, newly crowned Hero of the Bulb Index! I make no apologies for repeating our gratitude to you for your efforts on the Index.

Most Cyclamen do curl or coil the pedicel from the top ( flower end) downwards, when the flower is successfully fertilised and the seed capsule develops but in C. graecum it is a little different. In this case the coiling begins from the bottom, or even some way up the stem... so the coil forms as the capsule forms but the capsule ends up sticking out sideways rather than being drawn tightly down to the soil surface. Un-fertilised flowers tend not to coil, we find. I think this is fairly usual. So coiling and fattening should be good signs. When we get cyclamen seed forming, or appearing so to do, it is generally there... and not a phantom pregnancy as can so often be the case with narcissus.

Good luck with your pollinating: always worth a little work with the paintbrush.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:23:26 AM »
Thanks for that Maggi. That is encouraging as they are curling up.
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:36:03 PM »
In other cyclamen, (I don't have graecum) if the flower is not pollinated the petals will stay attached and just wilt, and then the flowering stem becomes limp and can be removed, trying to make sure you don't leave any bits still attached to cause mould problems.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal