We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dorothy Clive Garden, Staffordshire  (Read 1353 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Dorothy Clive Garden, Staffordshire
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
We have just got back from a trip to the west of the country staying in Wrexham.  Our first visit was to a garden that we had first visited some years ago, The Dorothy Clive Garden. Further information here:
http://www.dorothyclivegarden.co.uk/Dorothy_Clive_Garden.htm

We were sad to see that in the Quarry Garden there was some destruction as Sudden Oak Death had been detected, nevertheless the Waterfall was still looking good, with a beautiful hydrangea in the foreground.  Unfortunately the heavens opened and we spent some time in the shelter of the tea room ;)  The hillside garden below the tearoom has seasonal borders, this hot border looked a lot better in real life, Dahlias, Amaranthus caudatus (which I have trouble growing), Hydrangea 'Annabelle', Crocosmia, Tithonia, Ricinus 'New Zealand Bronze' and Eupatoreum being just some of the contributors to this spectacle.  From there the scree slope falls down to the pond, here were Albuca Shawii and Gentiana septemfida and nearby a good clump of Echinops.  Needless to say the weather hadn't spoilt our visit and, as we were 'on holiday' an ice cream was called for 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Dorothy Clive Garden, Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Good cakes in the tearoom Brian? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
They looked good Lesley, but as it was lunchtime we were on soup - which was delicious, we did have a very good toasted teacake before we left too.  We were saving ourselves for the hotel meals!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
They looked good Lesley, but as it was lunchtime we were on soup - which was delicious, we did have a very good toasted teacake before we left too.  We were saving ourselves for the hotel meals!

I do hope we are all properly appreciative of the privations (not) suffered by Members in pursuit of reports for the Forum....... ::)    :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
 ;D :-* ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:33 AM »
Absolutely Maggi. I know full well it is a pain and a hassle to go on these trips but the effort must be made for their fellow Forumists' sake. Well done Brian and it's always to get a first hand report on the eatables. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Thanks Brian, we've only ever been earlier in the year for the Rhododendrons and spring plantings it's nice to know there's plenty to see later in the year.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
Shelagh you are one up on us, we often thought of going in the spring and have never got round to it!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
They looked good Lesley, but as it was lunchtime we were on soup - which was delicious, we did have a very good toasted teacake before we left too.  We were saving ourselves for the hotel meals!

I do hope we are all properly appreciative of the privations (not) suffered by Members in pursuit of reports for the Forum....... ::)    :-*

Absolutely Maggi. I know full well it is a pain and a hassle to go on these trips but the effort must be made for their fellow Forumists' sake. Well done Brian and it's always to get a first hand report on the eatables. ;D

I get sent some super cartoons by Theresa McCracken.... I thought this one was apposite:
                309128-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
That looks strangely familiar ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
I love it Maggi. We have many tourists in Dunedin photographing at the market, the station building and elsewhere. They always have a camera in front of their faces. I sometimes wonder do they ever see what they're photographing, until it's on their monitor or wherever. ???

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Yes, we had the story of the tourists who jumped out of their car, snapped away furiously, then jumped back in with the dad yelling "Hurry up, you can look at the scenery when we get home" - (obviously pre-digital as we told it when I was at school) ! ::)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
Brian

Shame to hear about the state of the gardens. We re-visited about 4 years ago we found it utterly charming; I remember it well from my childhood when we lived in neighbouring Shropshire and would visit frequently

Frazer

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal