We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: J Arthur Bowers John Innes range  (Read 15086 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: J Arthur Bowers John Innes range
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 11:03:40 PM »
I had to return J Arthur Bowers JI compost so often because of enormous lumps of dry peat and apparent lack of loam, that I will never buy it again. My nearest garden centre have stopped stocking it because they had so many complaints. They now stock Erin JI which I find quite acceptable. I mix with extra grit/sand/perlite/leafmould etc depending what I'm going to use it for.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Darren

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
If you can get the stuff made by Keith Singleton in Cockermouth I can recommend it. Only stockists I know of are in Cumbria and North Lancs.

The Bowers stuff I've seen the last few years is definitely very poor.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »

I've used J Arthur Bowers John Innes for years & I can't say I've noticed much change in quality. Perhaps it varies in different parts of the country, though this seems unlikely. Perhaps I'm just unobservant. Mixed with equal parts of grit & perlite most bulbs grow well in it. This year I'm thinking of trying Homebase &/or Westland since they seem easier to get. I see from their website that Bowers is the only JI stocked by the local 'Fargro' who supply the horticultural trade.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Darren

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
What I've especially noticed is that, as I now try to repot only every two years, the Bowers stuff looks exhausted after one season (dusty and with little organic content remaining). The Singleton I used last year has still looked good this year in the pots I've knocked out to send spare bulbs to forumists.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »

I've used J Arthur Bowers John Innes for years & I can't say I've noticed much change in quality. Perhaps it varies in different parts of the country, though this seems unlikely. Perhaps I'm just unobservant. Mixed with equal parts of grit & perlite most bulbs grow well in it. This year I'm thinking of trying Homebase &/or Westland since they seem easier to get. I see from their website that Bowers is the only JI stocked by the local 'Fargro' who supply the horticultural trade.

Gerry
You would have to be blind not to see the change in quality.  Approx 20% of the compost is hard lumps of peat, and these still show up after mixing with grit and perlite.  I will not buy it unless I run out and need compost urgently - my local garden centre only stocks it, and the alternatives involve a considerable drive.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Gerry Webster

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Arthur - true, I am short sighted, but your description is not true of the stuff I bought last year. Maybe there are considerable batch variations*. I haven't seen any this year.

*A second thought. I seem to remember some time ago that  David N posted a picture of his sample of Bowers & thinking it looked quite different to the stuff I had.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:08:09 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

GoodGrief

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

I'm contemplating ordering from this Surrey-based supplier ('free' delivery to Kent & Sussex).

http://www.gardenclever.com/john-innes-no-3-compost-in-lined-bulk-bag-includes-delivery-1255-p.asp

A bulk bag works out at £2-60 per 25 litres. They do smaller deliveries of 20 bags (of 25 litres),
but it works out at the same price as garden centres. If it turns out to be no good, I guess I can use it up
somewhere in the garden.

I did get some of that wonderful Somerset JI No3 last year, but sadly they don't deliver even in bulk.

Malcolm.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
...........*A second thought. I seem to remember some time ago that  David N posted a picture of his sample of Bowers & thinking it looked quite different to the stuff I had.

Yes I did Gerry, it was a picture comparison of Green Ore and J Arthur Bowers, here they are again

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
By the way I did Email the manufacturers of the J Arthur Bowers range, William Sinclair Horticulture Ltd and have been asked to provide them with a sample of the compost I complained about-they are providing a bag and postal costs.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
Mine was like that - the big lumps and fibrous masses I sieved out comprised 25% of the volume.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
This information on the composition of J Arthur Bowers JI 3 is from the Sinclair website:

"COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical characterisation of active components: Loam, peat, composted green material,
limestone, grit and nutrients Including potassium nitrate, sulphate of ammonia, mono ammonium phosphate and trace elements."

The presence of "composted green material" might raise a few eyebrows.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
 :o

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »
Mmmm! Notice it doesn't say how much loam, I suspect very little and far less than the original JI recipes specify. Just to compare I forced myself to buy a bag of Westland JI No 2 yesterday. Much finer than JA Bowers but didn't feel to me that it had much loam content and I think they threw the grit in from a distance and missed!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
David - I suspect that few, if any, of the widely available JI composts conform to the original formula (7:3:2). I wonder on what basis they can use the name? I've just bought some Levington JI3 & while it is fairly even in texture - no big lumps or rubbish - I think the loam content is minimal.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
Gerry, you may find this of interest.

http://www.johninnes.info/index.htm
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal