We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: J Arthur Bowers John Innes range  (Read 15136 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
J Arthur Bowers John Innes range
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
To save myself a round trip of approaching 200 miles to buy Green Ore compost this year I have used J Arthur Bowers John Innes no 2 and no 3 for my bulb re-potting. I have to say that I found the quality had deteriorated since I last used it and I had to sieve it to get rid of large lumps of wood and other undecayed material. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this range?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: J Arthur Bowers John Innes range
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
David

I use Levington and that has large lumps of peat and sundry other things in it. I sift it out as I am using it.

I have tried quite a range and the only benefit I get from this one is it is in sealed bags and stored undercover at my local garden centre and it is therefore most of the time dry to handle
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
I always use J Arthur Bowers but my local garden centre is not stocking it this year. They have Westland instead. Has anyone tried this?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
David

...............I have tried quite a range and the only benefit I get from this one is it is in sealed bags and stored undercover at my local garden centre and it is therefore most of the time dry to handle

Are you able to get dry sand and grit as well Tony? At all my sources here they are stored outside and usually wet through. Last year I got my supplies earlier and spread them out in trays on the garage floor, this year I forgot to do that. 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
I always use J Arthur Bowers but my local garden centre is not stocking it this year. They have Westland instead. Has anyone tried this?

I've got a "thing" about Westland products (it's an age thing!!) and don't buy them. It's really to do with many garden centres stocking only Westland products and thereby not offering me a choice.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
david

I bought sand yesterday and it was just a slurry in the bag.

I have spread it on the greenhouse floor to dry it if only the sun would appear.

I bought my grit as two,one ton pallets last year and I have to store it outside so it is very wet. Again I open the bags and then spread it on the garage floor to dry as I need it.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »

I've got a "thing" about Westland products (it's an age thing!!) and don't buy them. It's really to do with many garden centres stocking only Westland products and thereby not offering me a choice.

Me too David. Even more of an age thing in my case - creature of habit that I am.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
David

I agree with you about J Arthur Bowers deteriorating quality.  Think I might develop tennis elbow with all the sieving necessary to remove 'rubbish'.

Applies equally to their multipurpose compost - recommended B & Q and found this to be much better.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
"Rosedale" was recommended to me a couple of years ago and I'm quite happy with it !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
It's less miles for you to get Rosedale than it is for me Luc ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
David

I agree with you about J Arthur Bowers deteriorating quality.  Think I might develop tennis elbow with all the sieving necessary to remove 'rubbish'.

Applies equally to their multipurpose compost - recommended B & Q and found this to be much better.

I did another age "thing". I emailed them to complain will post the reply if I get one.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
Rosedale compost available within 10 miles of me - and I get a trade discount  :) :) :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Can anybody clarify this Westland mistery for me ??  Any particular reason why you guys don't seem to like it ??
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
;D ;D ;D

I've never tried Westland - I'd like to hear from anyone who has. They do seem to be taking over the whole (garden centre) world.

Can anybody clarify this Westland mistery for me ??  Any particular reason why you guys don't seem to like it ??

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Can anybody clarify this Westland mistery for me ??  Any particular reason why you guys don't seem to like it ??
No real reason Luc, I did say it was an age thing! It's really to do with Westland taking over the market and consumers being denied choice. It's an "Islanders" thinking ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:59:33 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal