We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now September 2007  (Read 50631 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: Flowering now September 2007
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 03:37:53 AM »
Re: T pavonina

not to let them be too wet over winter or while dormant.

...and give them plenty of water whilst in growth. If they're happy they can seed about with some exuberance, so you might want to dead head them.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:19 AM »
I used to grow Tigridia every year. They are named after the Tiger but not the Asian Tiger. It's the Jaguar they are named after
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
Trying to come to terms with thoughts of "exotics" like Tigridia self-sowing in these parts! Lovely!

Lesley, what a sweetie you are, to even think of going to that bother over greengages.... far too much fuss and expense but the thought is MUCH appreciated.... just eat plenty on my behalf!!
Oh, and eat them fat and fresh, so much nicer than jam!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »
David,

That is a lovely pink Tigridia.  I have a white the same as your white (i.e with the red bowl markings), a pretty much pure white with some faint greeny yellow markings, the traditional red, and a strong yellow, but rarely have seen good pinks.  Congratulation, that one is a beauty!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:12 PM »
As Maggi said Lesley you are a sweetie :-*  I think though that, as with all things they would be far better fresh and in season in the UK.  Nevertheless thany you for your kind offer.  I will try and hunt some down and enjoy them whilst thinking of NZ ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »
Can't give you any advice David except not to let them be too wet over winter or while dormant. I (try to) grow the related Orthantha rigidipla (?) but it gets frosted here though Dave grows it successfully at the bottom of the South Island. I like your colours; different from the old orange that my mother had many years ago. (She would have been 99 yesterday, if, as I believe the Scots and Irish sometimes say, she had not passed from the sight of men.)

Could be difficult to keep them dryish in a typical Devon winter Lesley, but I'll see how they go. If I loose them I shall certainly buy some more next Spring.

Had a look for your plant on the PBS Wiki and found it as Rigidella orthantha syn. Tigridia orthantha. Nice 8). Odd isn't it, my Dad would have been 95 today.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »
David,

That is a lovely pink Tigridia.  I have a white the same as your white (i.e with the red bowl markings), a pretty much pure white with some faint greeny yellow markings, the traditional red, and a strong yellow, but rarely have seen good pinks.  Congratulation, that one is a beauty!!

Thank you Paul, after seeing pictures of some of your Tigridia on the PBS Wiki that is praise indeed
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:06 PM »
Re: T pavonina

not to let them be too wet over winter or while dormant.

...and give them plenty of water whilst in growth. If they're happy they can seed about with some exuberance, so you might want to dead head them.

Thanks Rob, I hope they get exuberant ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 08:30:49 PM »
Apropos very little, my Dad will be 94 a week tomorrow ! I expect there will be cake.... and icecream and some exuberance, too! :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:50 PM »
Apropos very little, my Dad will be 94 a week tomorrow ! I expect there will be cake.... and icecream and some exuberance, too! :)

and rightly so. I expect a certain daughter will approach both ice cream and cake with much exuberance ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »
Had a look for your plant on the PBS Wiki and found it as Rigidella orthantha syn. Tigridia orthantha. Nice 8). Odd isn't it, my Dad would have been 95 today.

Thanks David. I was sure I had the name wrong but couldn't get my head round it at the time. Should have googled but for some reason I can't get into the habit of doing that. To Roger it's second nature, as he proved yesterday when he located a new USB cable for my camera, locally, for $11. Unfortunately I had already been into town and ordered one from the place I bought my camera. It has to come from Australia, they tell me, and will take 2 weeks and cost $45 plus freight. Phone them first thing this morning to cancel the order but it has already gone and I'll be charged for it, even if I don't take it. Damn >:( >:( >:(

My son was 35 yesterday (6th). Says he feels old. Little does he know... ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:07:23 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
Rigidella orthantha does fine here for me, although it has now ended up being buried a little too deeply and is suffering (slow build up over it over time).  I did get seed from it a few years ago and germinated seedlings..... the odd part was that a single seed apparently produces more than a single baby, or else they multiply very quickly at the beginning.  The first year I had white shoots, and the concensus was something was wrong with them and they would never return (no chlorophyl) but the following year I had 15 shoots appear (which isn't bad given there were only 6 seeds in teh first place).  I must find that pot and see how they're doing now.  I know they were OK last year, but didn't particularly note them over summer as so much of my garden was ignored due to poor health.  Hopefully they're still in there.  The glorious red of the flower is amazing, and despite not being large and showy in flower size I'd never voluntarily be without it in my garden now.  I do so like the Tigridia/Cypella/etc alliance.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
We are particularly pleased with these hot summers as the Campsis radicans Madame Galens on the end of the house always does well, below it is Crinum powelli - but no sign of C. powelli alba flowering :'(  Meanwhile Aconitum carmichaeli "Royal Flush" is showing large flowers (named for the red foliage in the spring) and Hedychium densiflorum 'Assam Orange' is beginning to flower too, a good hardy (in East Anglia) ginger.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »
Since you have so much lovely colour in your garden at present, Brian, I won't feel too bad about telling you what happened this morning......Jean Wyllie arrived on the doorstep bearing a rare bulb ... AND.... two and a half pounds of Greengages! Yippee!! On both counts!!
As Anthony states in another thread, the hometown of Jean and Anthony, Dunblane, is about a two hundred mile round trip from me, so you can imagine my delight! The Wyllie Wifie, as we affectionately call Jean, had read of my Greengage passion in these pages and decidedto take pity on me. How kind! Sorry, Brian, you are just that bit too far away... also, I don't know if her husband, Jim, knows anyone with decent fishing down your way, which was, in fact, the real reason for their trip to Aberdeenshire ! ;D :D

So, today's quiz question... how long do you think it will take one greedy woman to eat over one kilo of Greengages? There is only me to scoff them, Ian has gone off down to East Anglia, so there is no need to share!! TeeHee! ::)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
Maggi take a pic for us to see what it is You are so fond of.
Enjoy them
Joakim

PS plums have a tendency of cleaning the system if You eat to many, so do not hurry to much or You will really need to hurry
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal