We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early December 2006  (Read 22949 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Early December 2006
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 06:59:59 AM »
thanks Anne

very nice indeed - I can't wait for the daylight now so that I can pop outside and have a look at my garden.  Very inspiring photographs - thank you.

with my best wishes

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Early December 2006 Not that early any more
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
Dear all
From Portugal I can report that in Lisbon the iris is flowering in the public places (only 1 out of 10). I do not know if it is a pre-bloom or a re-bloom. :)
I do not have any picture :( , but I will try to describe it. It is 50 cm high and dark pourpor almost black and the type are the "bearded" irises.
Also flowering now are the cymbidium orchids in the pots but the last two weeks of cold have stopped new flowers from open and the alredy open ones have got some stains but it is lovly. The camelias are also starting to flower.
Hope it was Ok to report on non alpines but that is what I think of on flowering now.
Merry Christmas
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 03:35:35 PM »
We had a heavy frost yesterday so here are my frosty pics

Geranium 'Rozanne', Some frosted Geranium leaves and a poppy that has appeared in the garden. Can anyone ID it. It nearly always has water on its hairy leaves
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:37:31 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2006, 03:43:09 PM »
Following the frost we had a brilliant day until about 2.30 when a thick fog appeared. Apparently it's caused when the air temperature is lower than ground temperature. The fog helped me get a shot of baubels hanging on my Jacquemontii Birch.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
Don't know what it is but it looks wonderful wet! :o
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
balls of ice, Anne.

The strange thing is the only other poppy in the garden is the small yellowed flowered one whose name evades me just now

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Early December 2006 Not that early any more
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
Dear all
I will try to post my first picture so hopfully it will work.

My mother-in-law has this cyclamen persicum almost blooming now.
The funny thing is that it is dark pink but the new buds are white and the older ones get a pink tip that later colours the rest of the flower. Is that the comon thing not to have the colour in the beginning? The plant is grown outside in Portugal but we have had down to 0C and maybe below, so that might be good news for anyone that likes to test in slightly colder climate.

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:14:09 PM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 07:55:06 PM »
I managed :)
It is simple as soon as one sees the additional options and there attach :)
Now there is a risk of more pics from me.
Joakim

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 09:07:44 PM »
Two  Cyclamen coum in flower in the garden today.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Tim Murphy

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:27 PM »
Joakim, the immature buds on my plants of Cyclamen purpurascens are also white, turning darker as they mature, so it does definitely occur on other species besides persicum. In contrast, immature buds on my C. alpinum are already showing a deep pink colour.

Your coum are a little ahead of mine, Paddy. I have a few flowers but it will be a fortnight at least before things really get going here.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2006, 09:48:26 PM »
Tim,

For some reason this particular bed of cyclamen coum is ahead of others in the garden. Cyclamen coum pewter group plants are just in bud at the moment but none is open yet. These cyclamen in the photographs are relatively new plants, purchased only two years ago and the variety of tones was interesting, I thought.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2006, 10:05:20 PM »
Tim and Paddy it seems as if Coum also has cpolour from the begining judgeing from Paddys pics. Let me know if I have interpreted the pics right. Thanks for the input Tim. :)

Joakim

Tim Murphy

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2006, 10:13:31 PM »
Joakim, yes, coum does have coloured immature buds. Interestingly, I have observed the opposite effect on some plants of Cyclamen coum.

In bud, the unopened flowers can be incredibly dark, only to lighten when the flower actually opens. So, initial excitement at the prospect of having something a little different nearly always leads to disappointment!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »
Joakim,

Tim has described exactly my reaction to this bed of cyclamen coum. They started in bud in the most beautiful dark and desirable red/purple/wine/burgundy but as they opened more and more they faded to lighter colours. Some opened in a darker colour and held it for some time. I have found these plants are in general darker than cyclamen coum I had grown in the garden up to this but these were all cyclamen coum pewter group plants and this may account for the differences.

Whichever, they are lovely plants and add colour at this otherwise rather bare time of year.

Paddy

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »
Paddy interesting to here about the colourings of the flower. Maybe You (or any one else) can elaborate about the pewter group. I must admit my ignorance regarding that. Is it a seed collection or a sub group or a cultivar?
May I make a question since we have come into cyclamen?
I noticed today that the seedlings that just have got the first leaf are mostly green but with the scond and third leaf they show much more pattern. Yet the parent seems to have even more patterns. Will the patterns evolve more with time or is just the first leaf special and the rest is the type of leaf the plant is goingto have "for ever"?
Below it is hopefully seen that the first leaf have different shape and patterns that the next pair and the new pair have less than the mother as seen in a post above.

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 11:33:11 PM by Joakim B »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal