We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Phyllodoce  (Read 1618 times)

Frans IJsselstijn

Phyllodoce
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
Hello everybody

I have two Phyllodoce (caerulea and empetriformis) but I'm looking for other species.
I'm looking for:
P. nipponica
P. aleutica
P. breweri
I'm looking for some cuttings or a nursery where I can buy this species en will send them to the Netherlands.
Many thanks for the answer.

Frans
in the Netherlands

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Phyllodoce
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
I can't help you with nursery sources Frans, but Phyllodace seed is often listed in ther society/club exchanges and by and large, they are not difficult from seed, just have to be careful to get them past the stage where moss wants to smother them. :( They are best pricked out and/or potted before the very fine roots become entangled, so sow the seed very thinly. Same as with Rhododendron, Epigaea and Cassiope.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:12:26 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
Maybe one of our Danish members can tell you if Sven-Aage Askjaer's nursery is still open. His website is down I see.  Jens Birck certainly knows him well. If Svend-Aaage cannot help or re-direct you to someone who has them then you might try Glendoick Gardens. Their Phyllodoces may not be plentiful enough to be in their catalogue.

I searched my computer to find the source of mine and only come up with this:

4464 PHYLLODOCE CAERULEA H-9” A beautiful and very hardy circumpolar plant with small dark-green foliage and a very heavy bloom of pink blooms. P,r,pt. $5.50
4474 PHYLLODOCE x INTERMEDIA “DRUMMONDII” [P.EMPETRIFORMIS x P.GLANDULIFLORA] H-10” Pretty narrowly-bell shaped red-purple blooms held over mats of narrow, dark-green foliage. The easiest to please of this genus. W.America. P,r,pt. $5.50 3 FOR $14.50
4484 PHYLLODOCE EMPETRIFORMIS H-10” A beautiful dwarf shrublet with many bell shaped blooms of red-purple held in umbels in late spring. Wash. Cascades. P,r,pt. $5.50 3 FOR $14.50
4494 PHYLLODOCE “FLORA SLACK” [P.CAERULEA x P.GLANDULIFLORA] H-3” An almost prostrate little shrublet with narrow foliage and rich violet-red blooms at the tips of the stems. P,r,t. $5.50 3 FOR $14.50

Does anyone recognize this excerpt from a catalogue? Alpines Mt. Echo (Maria Galletti) or Mt. Tahoma (Rick Lupp)? Methinks maybe the latter though Alpines Mont Echo did have Phyllodoces; I'll dash off a note to Maria and see if she can assist you; and tell me where I got mine!

johnw
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:08:15 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

birck j c

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Sven-Aage Askjaer's nursery .

The nursery was closed 6 weeks ago.
(and web side)

jens
"Bana belt" close to Copenhagen - Denmark

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal