We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August Narcissus 2011  (Read 10545 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: August Narcissus 2011
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
Ah, I now see the split cup cyclamineus hybrid. As I remarked to another Forum friend, in quite a different context, I need new jeans. Mine are getting very raggedy. ;D

Fermi I'll send my pic of (maybe) 'Mitimoto' ro Marcus and see what he thinks. And can you tell me what is the little one in a patch near the back or side door of the Ferny Creek Hort Soc hall?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 12:13:48 AM »
Ah, I now see the split cup cyclamineus hybrid. As I remarked to another Forum friend, in quite a different context, I need new jeans. Mine are getting very raggedy. ;D

Fermi I'll send my pic of (maybe) 'Mitimoto' ro Marcus and see what he thinks. And can you tell me what is the little one in a patch near the back or side door of the Ferny Creek Hort Soc hall?

Lesley, all the bulbs at the back door of the hall came from my garden , so I'm certain the tiny daffodil is 'Ferdie'
 also found a split cup cyclamineus (the species  ) yesterday . Have not made up my mind yet if it deserves to live .
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:29:29 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »
Do you think Marcus has 'Ferdie' available Otto? I suppose I should ask him, not you. :)

28th - In fact, while weeding small bulb and seedling pots today I found 'Ferdie' but there was nothing in the pot, along with 3 Galanthus which also have rotted away over winter and a couple of other things as well. This is very unusual for Marcus' bulbs which have always done well for me. I have had a financial windfall in the last few days so will put it aside for a summer order.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:28:05 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mini-daffs

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
 ;DHi
Fermi I will make sure I send you and anybody else in Australia who wants a list.
Nature is playing tricks this year as a very large number of daffodils are flowering now. Many of these are a couple of weeks ahead of schedule. I have been able to do quite a few crosses but like always there will crosses that ought to be done that will be missed.
I have taken quite a few photos on what was a fine sunny day here in Canberra. I will try and edit them and post them over the next week.
All our daffodils were weeded this year so they are performing much better. Photos Part 1 are mostly standards.
Graham in sunny Canberra
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 2. We do quite a deal of split cup hybridising. Most of those in these photos are intermediate. One is only just a bit too big for miniature.
Graham

Mini-daffs

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 3 About the photos. I is for intermediate, min is miniature and nothing is a standard.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 4. This is the last of my photos from yesterday. I need to start editing todays photos.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 1 of todays photos

Mini-daffs

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 2. I will give an insight into the range of our hybridising programs. An assortment of miniatures and intermediates.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 3 from today.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
 ;DHi
Part 4.

Brian Duncan

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
Here's some pics of Narcissus 'Polly's Pearl' from Bill Dijk. He gave me 10 dried bulbs. I planted them outside and thought I'd compare with 10 'Paper Whites' bought from "The Warehouse". The latter produced 1 flowering stem! In the UK I'd have taken them back! Bill's 10 bulbs have produced 10 flowering stems, some of which are still to open.
I was fortunate to see 'Polly's Pearl' growing on a daffodil farm in Victoria, Australia - the stems seemed like walking sticks with a great tassel of blooms on top. Harold Koopowitz was in the party and was pleased and  amazed to see such a large and vigorous stock - he had named the variety after it was found in Polly Anderson's garden in La Canada, California. This was a great pleasure for me also as I knew Polly well  - she was a prominent member of the American Daffodil Society and the wife of Ken Anderson, famed Walt Disney artist who was Art Director for 'Snowwhite' and several other famous films. Polly was involved in the painstaking animation artistic process - no computers in those days!! So much for 'Polly's Pearl'  - I wish I could grow it  - not only for its beauty but for the memories it carries.
Brian

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 04:23:16 AM »

Fermi I will make sure I send you and anybody else in Australia who wants a list.

Thanks, Graham,
I'll hold you to that! ;D It's unfair that all your good stuff goes overseas!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
 ;DHi
Part 5

Mini-daffs

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
 ;DHi
Part 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal