We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11864 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:25 AM »
I hate to admit it but Napier has a nice climate, even nicer - some say - than Dunedin's. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
Just catching up on this topic.  I just have to comment on Lesley's Ranunculus calandrinioides, which is amazing.  I didn't realise there were summer heat resistant type Ranuncs that look like that!!  :o  Also of note are Fermi's Sternbergia candida (mine went to the great garden in the sky the first year I grew it!!  ::)) and that lovely Galanthus 'Comet' (which I've not come across before I think?).  Also Pat's wonderful Iris, and the spectacular pics from Bill as always.

Thanks all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
The Ranunculus Paul, is really autumn and into winter flowering. It's still in good flower now so hopefully into spring as well. We had two days earlier in the week that were definitely spring. :D

Galanthus 'Comet' is (correct me if I'm wrong) what Marcus listed a few years back as 'Outer Green Tips' then adjusted the name to 'Comet.' It does well here. I took some reasonable pics of 'Lady Beatrix Stanley,' 'Dionysus' and 'Hughes' Emerald' last week and then accidentally deleted them from the card before uploading them. I can get another H E but too late for the others as they're past their best.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
Thanks Lesley.

Re the ranunc, I was just surprised that one that looked like that was a summer heat type.  The ones that tolerate that usually don't seem to look like your little gem.

The pics I've seen of Gal. 'Hughes Emerald' are lovely.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
Hi

Two rare yellow crocus out this morning.

The first is the unusual form of chrysanthus called Sunspot.

The second is called something else now I think but David Stephens tentatively name it Edwards Gold. Purportedly a sieberi ssp sieberi collected as seed on Mt Idi - No way :o

Cheers, Marcus

Marcus,

Was just wandering through this topic again and realised that your Sunspot was already in flower in July.  I'm guessing that bodes ill for my corm of Sunspot that I got this year and that has not yet appeared above the surface?  Darnit, I was looking forward to seeing it in person as I've loved the pics that others have posted of this variety.   :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
Paul, I got 'Sunspot' last year, and it didn't come up at all. Maybe it's a little more difficult than some others? Generally chrysanthus forms do very well here.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
Lesley,

I've roughly checked for mine and can't find remains of it either.  Maybe it just prefers Tasmania and doesn't want to leave there?  Such a shame. :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal