We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 21932 times)

meanie

Re: July 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
A certain bulb seller of my aquaintance, who stocks the bat, tells me I ought to grow it, since it was surely named for me.....  ::) :-X

Is it tricky, meanie? Does it take a lot of cossetting to get to flower?

Not so far!
Bought the plant out of the bargain bin, gave it a sheltered spot in the conservatory and plenty of humidity.
One tip that I was given was to make sure that the leaf axils fill up with water when misting, which is done two or three times a day with water that has been left in a bucket to evaporate the chemicals for 24hrs. Go through 2litres of this in three to four days.
One thing that I would say is that this plant can get quite big - it spans about a metre and a half now!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

ruweiss

« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
Now flowering:
Eucomis comosa
Agapanthus Snow Ball
Agapanthus campanulatus from Drakensberge Mts. 2500 m.
Daphne sericea now flowers for the second time this season.
The unusual cool and rainy weather supports the plants from the
asiatic high mountain regions, Codonopsis grey-wilsonii never flowered
so profusely before.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Pascal B

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:30 PM »
Grown in a pot because I don't have enough for winter hardy tests yet, the lovely hairy flower stems of Tricyrtis ravenii from Taiwan.

Pascal B

« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »
Delphinium drepanocentrum, more odd than beautiful. Probably best not to plant it as a solitary like I did but intermix it with other low growing perennials. Also something seems to be nibbling the flowers.... >:(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal