We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2011  (Read 13556 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Sternbergia 2011
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »

No change for me then! ;D

Well that depends which ones and where you grow them.

In the garden the general problem is our cold and wet summer. But some performs better than others.
Sternbergia lutea 'Autumn Gold' and angustifolia does not need a hot dry summer to flower well. But they flower more freely in a sunny site. Most Sternbergias really appreciate being placed close to a south facing wall. I have two clumps of sicula 'Dodona Gold', one 5 cm from the wall, it give 20-30 flowers every year while the other clump 80 cm from the wall have 2-4 flowers in average.

Sternbergias in pots under glass are different. Here you can give them a warm and dry dormancy, but they are greedy and the roots go deep. So a good feeding and deep pots are beneficial.

Poul

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:56:31 PM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Gerry Webster

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »

In the garden the general problem is our cold and wet summer. But some performs better than others.
Sternbergia lutea 'Autumn Gold' and angustifolia does not need a hot dry summer to flower well. But they flower more freely in a sunny site. Most Sternbergias really appreciate being placed close to a south facing wall. I have two clumps of sicula 'Dodona Gold', one 5 cm from the wall, it give 20-30 flowers every year while the other clump 80 cm from the wall have 2-4 flowers in average.

Sternbergias in pots under glass are different. Here you can give them a warm and dry dormancy, but they are greedy and the roots go deep. So a good feeding and deep pots are beneficial.

Poul
My experience is different Poul. Both my form of angustifolia (from Crete) & the John Marr form of sicula (from Dodona) need a very hot, dry bake to flower; neither is flowering this year though they are growing in a bulb frame. The only form of sicula flowering this year is 'Arcadian Sun' (pot grown) though the flowers are rather smaller than usual.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Poul - Your Sternbergias are looking very good. After the rather cold summer I think flowering here is going to be poor.
Gerry - mine seem to do OK after cool UK summers.  Curiously they seem better when we get rain during July and August.  This year they are flowering nicely in the open garden.  The only real heat they got was in April and May plus a week in August!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
Poul - Your Sternbergias are looking very good. After the rather cold summer I think flowering here is going to be poor.
Gerry - mine seem to do OK after cool UK summers.  Curiously they seem better when we get rain during July and August.  This year they are flowering nicely in the open garden.  The only real heat they got was in April and May plus a week in August!
Tony - the behaviour of plants defeats me!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 02:11:49 PM »
Sternbergia lutea ex. Iran
Sternbergia sicula Bisceglie

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »
Two Sternbergia in flower now, the first S.greuteriana is now going over, the second S. minoica is just open today.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
Nice Sternbergia from all,
here my St.greuteriana, a very small form and
St.sicula with two flowers on a stem
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
Here is a dull day shot of my  neglected sternbergia.  They are flowering much better than the ones I have looked after!

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
Hello Melvin

Never heard from Sternbergia minoica
where is this one coming from

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »
Hello Roland,

I have taken another photo of the plant today, with a different colour background.

The species was named by Ravenna in 2001 and is from a place called Malampes in Southern Crete.
I visited the location in November 2004 and having spent some time looking at the very varied population reached the conclusion that it is probably a form of (or is synonymous with) Sternbergia sicula. That is not intended to be dismissive, I think its a very nice plant.

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
Sternbergia sicula was my first thought
that's why I asked

Thanks for explaining

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Gerry Webster

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »
The most recent (2008) morphological analysis concludes that botanically they are all forms of Sternbergia lutea though it might be convenient to distinguish them for horticultural purposes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:02:37 PM by Gerry Webster »

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »
The most recent (2008) morphological analysis concludes that botanically they are all forms of Sternbergia lutea though it might be convenient to distinguish them for horticultural purposes.

Has anyone looked at their DNA?  I'm much more comfortable with comparisons of DNA sequences (maybe because I'm a biochemist?)

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »
So far I know is Ben Zonneveld looking for material from Stern. minoica for DNA research:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3188.0

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2011, 09:21:24 AM »

Has anyone looked at their DNA?  I'm much more comfortable with comparisons of DNA sequences (maybe because I'm a biochemist?)

Jim
The basis for classification depends upon what you regard as the purpose of classification. I'm comfortable with morphology because for part of my life I was an experimental & theoretical morphologist.
So far I know is Ben Zonneveld looking for material from Stern. minoica for DNA research:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3188.0
I imagine that Zonnefeld's work on Sternbergia is like his work on Narcissus. This involved  measuring the quantity of DNA which he regards as a measure of genome size. He does not carry out DNA analysis or sequencing.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal