We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Megacodon stylophorus  (Read 10508 times)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Re: Megacodon stylophorus
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Maybe plants far away from home are not happy in the end whatever we do: not their native soil, not their native climate, not their native companions.
This Megacodon that grew during 6 years suffered a serie of too warm and dry spells during summer meanwhile. I even had to put shade on it when the leaves once began to be scortched both by sun and very dry air during the worst spells.
Perhaps the weather hazards are less or more rare in its native area, giving the plant better chances to build up stronger?
Anyway, I hope the seeds will sprout soon, so that I can try different locations for the next generation ;)
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

arisaema

Re: Megacodon stylophorus
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »
Everything you mention of course makes sense, heat and drought in particular, it's very much an alpine growing in cool, soggy places - usually in partial shade.

That said, for your next generation, and for others who notice flowering stems developing, I'd still recommend removing it. Seeds are fairly cheap and easily available from many of the seed lists, and they keep surprisingly well for a Gentianaceae, the main issue is the incredibly long time it needs to actually produce a few flowers.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal