We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Megacodon stylophorus  (Read 10507 times)

robg

Re: Megacodon stylophorus
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
Hi Susan
Perhaps we could keep this thread going as long as a similar one on Rheum Nobile !

Did you get any guidance on seed germination on Megacodon ? 

I have some of the Rheum seed as well so will be following both threads.

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »
I ended up just sowing them, no germination yet ;) although I notice Bjornar suggests GA3. Is it rheum Alexandre you are meaning. It is easy germinating when spring comes then grows no problem. I have had them flowering although not every one every year. If it is rheum noblis I found like everyone else it germinated then died. Good luck.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »
I just notice I didn't do any update here last season. Megacodon is coming out of soil, and the new shoot is impressive this year.
As for Rheum nobile recently, the beast got some food ;)

It measures about 10 cms.

I planted last year 4 other plants in another part of the bed, they're coming well too, but are of course much smaller.
Further 4/5 potted 2 years seedlings are waiting in the propagation area.
And a sowing pot is getting germination right now.
Enough plants to try different places.

I don't do anything special for germination. The seeds arrive during winter, and they are sown only about early May, being kept dry-refrigerated meanwhile. Most of them will sprout the following spring, but it happens sometimes that 1 or 2 seedlings appears already during the summer.
Pricking the young seedlings after germination but still at cotyledon stage seems to work good for them here. I think it's better not to wait that roots get intricated in the sowing pot if the seedlings have to be separated.
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Philippe

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
The beast:

Reaching nearly 40cm from one leaftip to another, still on the 6 leaves-stage though. The plant is really building up strongly. I have no idea how long it will last untill flowering. Maybe further 2/3 years ?

Philippe

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
Almost one year after the last Megacodon update.
The plant was not affected by last summer's heat. 8 leaves-stage this year.
Doesn't look particularly bigger on the pic in comparaison with last year's picture, but it was shot from further, as it actually now is a bit larger.
I must remember to give it some extra food nextly!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »
A real marathon effort to proceed with this plant apparently. I'll buy some seed when I reach 80 and always have a goal ahead to keep going a bit longer. ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Philippe

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Great news. Megacodon finally reached flowering size in 2017, and is presently showing its huge and curious flowers.

THe flowers are very long lasting and of really tough consistance. The first opened up 10 days ago, and still isn't fading right now, though the weather has been mainly so warm and sunny since then.
Questionning about pollination: it seems stamens and stigma don't "ripen" at the same time. I must have a closer inspection though, as I am even not sure stamens produce pollen here.
Big question: is that plant monocarpic? I'd tend to say yes, judging by the plant appearance when flowering: it is sending all its strenght, it seems, in the very stout and thick main flowering stem. It also supports many huge flowers.
Or it may be that it will need a few years to recover from the effort before flowering again, just as Gentiana lutea does.
We'll see!

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 02:27:00 AM »
Great news. Megacodon finally reached flowering size in 2017, and is presently showing its huge and curious flowers.

THe flowers are very long lasting and of really tough consistance. The first opened up 10 days ago, and still isn't fading right now, though the weather has been mainly so warm and sunny since then.
Questionning about pollination: it seems stamens and stigma don't "ripen" at the same time. I must have a closer inspection though, as I am even not sure stamens produce pollen here.
Big question: is that plant monocarpic? I'd tend to say yes, judging by the plant appearance when flowering: it is sending all its strenght, it seems, in the very stout and thick main flowering stem. It also supports many huge flowers.
Or it may be that it will need a few years to recover from the effort before flowering again, just as Gentiana lutea does.
We'll see!

Congratulations!
This is such an interesting looking 'Gentian' :) The rosette in your post above does look a bit like Gentiana lutea when at the same 'age'.
It is not given like being monocarpic, so I hope you'll get to enjoy it many years from now!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

arisaema

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 03:25:11 AM »
Those I've seen in the wild are not monocarpic, but they do indeed seem to need a year or two to recover.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
Congratulations Philippe.  A lovely plant, and excellent if you can become self-sufficient for seed 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Roma

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 07:36:30 PM »
The one we flowered at the Cruickshank Garden was monocarpic but set lots of seed.  I only have one plant left.  It has 4 leaves and is a little bit bigger than last year . I think I should plant it out if I can find a suitable spot where I will not dig it up when it is dormant.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

barnclos

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
I wasn't fully aware of what I was getting myself into when I ordered these, but theres no going back now.

Seeds arrived in December, were sown on 2nd of January and started appearing on 13th of April.  I was so surprised that they were appearing that I went back and checked my records to make sure that I hadn't mixed up my labels, but the only other seed I planted on that day were monocots (Lilium and Arisaema), and the seedlings are unambiguously dicots.

I read Philippe's experience with interest, firstly because it was so successful, and secondly because he is living not too far away and the climate should be quite similar.
Pricking the young seedlings after germination but still at cotyledon stage seems to work good for them here. I think it's better not to wait that roots get intricated in the sowing pot if the seedlings have to be separated.
Based upon this advice, I plan to prick out these seedlings in the next week.

612985-0

Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Seems that you are doing very well with the Gentianaceae this year Keith ;)  :)
Good luck - I look fwd to see these seedlings growing up.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Philippe

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
The beautiful Megacodon flowered itself to death last year. That plant is fully monocarpic, but this had to be expected somehow. Big plants that need several years for their single rosette to reach flowering stage often behave this way. I think of the big  Meconopsis of course, the Megacarpaea, probably sadly also Rheum nobile.
No sign of any life around the dead mother plant. But it fortunately set quite many seeds. Still no germination so far.

arisaema

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »
It is not always monocarpic in the wild, there's a plant at Tianchi I've seen and collected from for at least 5 years. Removing the first flowering stem might force it into making more rosettes, much like what is recommended for big, blue Meconopsis.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal