We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2011-2012  (Read 9774 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
SRGC Seed Exchange 2011-2012
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
Here  are the Seed Exchange notes from Stuart Pawley, from the recent Rock Garden Journal #127.

The SRGC  Seed Exchange 2011-2012
Stuart Pawley (Seed Reception Manager)
First – a reminder of our procedures.
Seeds for the Exchange, all scrupulously clean and dry please, should be sent to me by October 31st, at Acres of Keillour, Methven, Perth, PH1 3RA, UK.
This closing date is as late as possible so that we miss nothing waiting for ripening.
On November 1st the list is finalized and emailed to the printers. The worst part of my job then starts as more donations, often of considerable value and quality, land on my doormat. I urge overseas members with less than a week to go to email me a list at gsp.srgc AT tesco.net so that their donation may be included. US members, if they wish, may include their essential APHIS permits and labels when sending seed. Please send the seed as soon as you can, or otherwise it will miss the journey to Ian Pryde who organizes the packeting. I encourage more UK non-donors to apply for a list, as there is usually plenty of seed. Please send me a stamped addressed envelope before December 15th; the correct C5 (229 mm x162 mm) rather than the larger size that has mistakenly crept into our literature simply needs an ordinary second-class stamp in the UK. Lists should be posted out about 10th November, so email me if you think yours might have gone astray. Requests from the list should go to Alan Hayes at 31 Liberton Brae, Edinburgh, EH16 6AG, UK or alan.hayes31 AT blueyonder.co.uk before 15thJanuary, with payments as detailed in the list. Australian, NZ and US members should remember to send a list of names of requested seeds unless ordering on-line. We aim to post the main orders by 21st January, and the surplus seed by 11th February.

Some members might wonder why their donation has not appeared in the list: this is usually my error! Errors increase considerably when my routine is interrupted by things like re-labelling a packet clearly or reducing packet size to fit into our system. I often plead in the list notes to avoid this extra work but donors need to remember for almost a year! However, I know that some of you read these notes, that also allow me to communicate both important and trivial things.
 Last year, one of the trivia was the near loss of all my Trillium ovatum seeds while waiting for the capsules to open – and then I caught the thieves red-handed. In our first spring at Acres of Keillour we found in our derelict woodland a single white   must have been planted by an itinerant wasp as seed from the famous Keillour Castle garden of the Knox-Finlays. Our Canadian member who told me of the role of ants in dispersing trillium seeds was quite delighted to see the note about our wasps doing likewise. He asks to know the species of wasp, so to be sure I’ll have to catch them at it again in the fall. I was concerned that the trillium might not survive the winter, but all is well, as my picture shows. Why should the trillium not survive? One night at the end of November we had 45 cm of snow, lasting until a sudden thaw in mid-January. This made a river a metre deep in places right across the woodland, churning out into the road and down the hill. I feared for more than the trillium as in the middle of the river was my new raised bed with Meconopsis and lots of my beloved Primula maximowiczii. Luckily it was just sufficiently raised to escape. This primula had been out of cultivation for decades until Ron McBeath had a new collection for sale in the year 2000. My purchase contained two fine specimens, a pin and a thrum, giving lots of seeds and a regular entry in the list. With about a hundred plants in the garden I am doing my bit to keep this beauty in circulation, easy to grow in rich moist (not boggy) soil in partial shade, but I couldn’t do this without the Club and the Exchange; so there’s your challenge – if you have a unique plant worthy of a future, please be sure to let me know so that I can alert everyone through the notes in the list.
Here’s a possible future example: wild-collected seed of Dianthus superbus from the Pyrenees gave this surprising pure white specimen, so donor, grower and some others are now investigating whether this is a sustainable form. The wild collection of Primula cf. polyneura, offered as number 5511, 57th list, gives plants smaller than the usual P. polyneura, and flowers a month earlier. To keep this worthwhile form distinct I put it in the last list as P. sikuensis, which is the most probable match. Maybe a taxonomic error, but it would be a mistake to lose its purity! As I finish writing, the wasp’s trillium has turned a plum colour! Does this mean it is pollinated? I’ll get there before the wasps, and pack the seeds moist, following the procedure that the New Zealand Trillium Group uses, which is to rinse the seeds in 10% chlorine bleach solution to prevent fungal attack and pack it in a sealed plastic pouch. This is the way this seed will be sent to members, so please let me know of any success.
 G.S.P.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:31:26 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
As Stuart suggests, I urge all UK members to apply for a seedlist- there is lots of seed, let's get it fully distributed!

All members can, of course, look out for the publication of the Seedlist on the SRGC Website, this will be clearly announced here when that happens.  
To order online, which is very straightforward.... always supposing one reads the simple  instructions ( not all Seed Ex systems are the same and so it does pay to heed the directions!!) relieves the need to send in typed lists of seed requested because the online system provides that for you.

When the system goes live online, a password will be needed, along with your SRGC membership number ( the number shown by your  name and address on communications/journal wrappings, from the Club) to access the online request system.  
This password is included in the Seed Ex notes by Stuart in the July Journal #127on  page 13

It will be possible to obtain the password from me when the list is online but it would make life easier all round if you were to make a note of it, and your membership number NOW, in readiness for the Seed Exchange .

The seedlist will be online for browsing as well as for making online requests ; all this will be in pdf  format so downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader is a good idea.

USA members in particular need to check the validity of their Small Lots of Seed Permits NOW to allow time for these to  be obtained or renewed in plenty time for the actual exchange.
If you apply now for your permits you will avoid all the last minute hassle for all concerned as you panic about getting your seed request and permits accepted in time!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:31:46 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Seed Exchange Notice for USA Members

In 2006 the US authorities introduced new regulations regarding the import of seeds into the US, which apply to all US residents requiring seed from the Seed Exchange. To participate in the SRGC Seed Exchange, our US members must have a 'Small Lots of Seeds' permit, which is issued by APHIS. We advise that you get the permit now, rather than wait until the seed list arrives. You can find details of how to get a permit at: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml

We must emphasise that it has to be a 'small lots' permit, as this is the only permit which does not require phytosanitary certification at our end.

When you send your seed request, we need a copy of the permit, the conditions attached to it and a green and yellow customs label for that permit for each of your requests - one for a main requested selection, and one for each request of 50 packets in the surplus.

Please read all Seed Exchange instructions before starting. Even if you select online, you must still post the permit documents and labels to Alan Hayes. You can copy your permit as many times as you need, and we understand the permit lasts for three years, so get it now and use it till 2014.

Please ensure your permit is still valid before you send copies through to us. We must stress that "no permit, no seed" is the SRGC rule! We will do our best to get everyone their seed, but it must be in compliance with USDA regulations.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
To assist you with making your own seed packets.....
Stuart Pawley's words from last year's seed list notes:

"Were my pleas in vain? Last year at this spot I put in pleas to lessen the load, and I think there are now fewer donors that don’t write a list. When there is no list, I have to start writing, and as this disturbs the normal procedure, mistakes can be made. Even more so when I have to repackage or relabel or stick up leaky corners of packets, or extract seeds from dried berries; this is a huge extra load. Some donors do a marvellous job, and some would, I am sure, if they had an easy source of packets. Postal envelopes are not good as packets, as they are usually too large and they leak at the corners. So, for the favoured size of packet, here is a little bit of rocket science.

1) Take some paper (e.g. strong brown) and cut to the size of the diamond shown in  the pdf attached to this post. ( original size was 10cm square shown on back of paper seedlist)

2) Fold first along the lines S & G, then along R & C.

3) Unfold, put seeds where our logo is, and repeat the folding.

4) Stick a white label, the size of the address label on the Seed List envelope, over the folds.

5) Write the full taxon name clearly in black on the label, your name (smaller) at the bottom.
(Edit by maggi: I suggest CAPITAL letters.... easier to read)
0) You could have prepared the white labels and printed them with your computer."

Template of seed packet....(note by maggi: will show larger than 10cms square, I think!
 pdf to download: * seed packet template-larger than life size.pdf (10.41 kB - downloaded 332 times.)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »
Please send seed donations, individually packaged per variety, preferably in a paper
envelope, and cleaned of all seed cases, debris, insects, etc to:-

Prof. Stuart Pawley, Acres of Keillour, Methven, Perth, Scotland, UK, PH1 3RA.

Please include your name and address and a clearly written alphabetical list of the
seed you are sending. Don’t be put off if you only have a small amount of seed of
a species- it may be the small amount that no-one else has, and that someone would
love to have.
The deadline for seed to arrive at Stuart’s door is 31st October 2011, please.
If you have “late maturing” seed that cannot be sent until later, please send the information
about this as early as possible and before 31st October, to Stuart at :
gsp.srgcATtesco.net (replacing AT with @ )
 Send the list in the text of an e-mail, not as an attachment. Stuart can’t afford a computer virus at this critical time. It is important to send the information
early so we can produce the seed list in good time.
Please send late seed as soon as you can.

Seed Lists
Overseas members and all donors will receive a seed list by post automatically. Home
non-donors should request a list from Stuart Pawley, and send a C5 (24 x 17.5 cm)
stamped addressed envelope.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:29:47 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
Here is Stuart Pawley's article from the Journal #127.......

* GSPSeedEx for web2011.pdf (132.14 kB - downloaded 314 times.)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Seed Exchange Notice for USA Members

In 2006 the US authorities introduced new regulations regarding the import of seeds into the US, which apply to all US residents requiring seed from the Seed Exchange. To participate in the SRGC Seed Exchange, our US members must have a 'Small Lots of Seeds' permit, which is issued by APHIS. We advise that you get the permit now, rather than wait until the seed list arrives. You can find details of how to get a permit at: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml

We must emphasise that it has to be a 'small lots' permit, as this is the only permit which does not require phytosanitary certification at our end.

When you send your seed request, we need a copy of the permit, the conditions attached to it and a green and yellow customs label for that permit for each of your requests - one for a main requested selection, and one for each request of 50 packets in the surplus.

Please read all Seed Exchange instructions before starting. Even if you select online, you must still post the permit documents and labels to Alan Hayes. You can copy your permit as many times as you need, and we understand the permit lasts for three years, so get it now and use it till 2014.

Please ensure your permit is still valid before you send copies through to us. We must stress that "no permit, no seed" is the SRGC rule! We will do our best to get everyone their seed, but it must be in compliance with USDA regulations.

A reminder to USA members to check their Small Lots of Seed import permits NOW!
Here on the NARGS website - http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=802.msg12094#new you will find some useful notes about renewal from Joyce Fingerut, who, as usual, has her finger on the pulse of these matters.
 There is also a full page on the matter in the main NARGS site: http://nargs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140:small-lots-of-seed&catid=75:seedex&Itemid=123

Joyce has been a great help over the years with assistance to SRGC and other organisations to ensure that USA members are able to partake in the Seed Exchange to the best advantage. Thanks, again, Joyce!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
The 65th SRGC Seed Exchange is now live online.
Those expecting paper copies of the list will receive them soon and the list is now online both to browse  and to make your orders.
Seed will not be sent out until January 2012 at the earliest.

Please read all the notes and insructions in the seed pages..... there are not many, they are not complicated, but a few moments taken to read them will mean that you will be able to make your order more easily.

You may download or open a pdf of the current seedlist to browse here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/seed/2011seedlist.pdf

This is the main seed exchange page: http://www.seedexchange.org.uk/index.php?page=home&func=none

There are 5362 types of seed to choose from.... have fun!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
Please remember that you must re-register each year.... using the password from the July Journal for initial access, before choosing a password of your own later..... it is all in the notes... please read them carefully.
Your should receive your activation email quite quickly.... but please be aware that this can be caught up in a spam filter by some email services so it is a good idea to check your spam filter to see if the activation email is there before contacting SRGC.  Do not try to re-register... that will not work!   

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:35:11 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
When you have completely finished your  seed order.....

If your confirmation email comes through after you have completed the order then that is what is required. If you think you have completed the process and no email has arrived..... first, check your spam filter to be surethe email is not caught there. If you find no email there, return to the seed system and check.... you will likely discover that there is still a step for you to follow to fully complete the process.... keep an eye on the steps and instructions on screen as you go through the process.

It is all quite simple if the procedures are followed, as quite a number of you have already successfully proved today!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
A reminder that your SRGC Membership number, needed to access the online Seed Service, only requires the numbers, not any letters.
So, if your mailings come with the reference NEL 1020 the part you require to enter as your membership number is 1020

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
I would strongly urge members to submit a full list of second choices, as well as their first choices  when send their seed request: this greatly increases your chance to receive a full allocation.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
21st December: a reminder that it would be a good idea to get your seed request in now.
For overseas members the cost of the basic seed allocation of 16packets for non-donors and 25 packets for seed donors is included in the price of your subscription... so you can request seed with no more to pay!

For such a great deal I would have thought that every  member would  request seed  ???
UK members need only pay £4 for their seed allocations... orders must be received by 15th January 2012.

The seedlist is online to browse in addition to the online ordering service.

If you want to order online but have forgotten your membership number, email me at info@srgc.org.uk and I will get your seed account registered and activated ready for you to make your request - how much easier could it be?!!  8)

Order now to get your SRGC Seed!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:40:33 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »
A note about the SRGC SEED distribution process.... this will be organised from the Suntrap Gardens,43 Gogarbank,Edinburgh EH12 9BY

The Seed Distribution Team has sent this message:
"Hi all 
Just to confirm that we will be at Suntrap for the seed distribution process.

We'll be doing the set-up from 0930 on Friday 30th December - I think we're expecting Ian and the Tranent team with the seed between ten and ten thirty.  If you can spare a few hours to help, please drop us an e-mail. ( use info@srgc.org.uk  and Maggi will forward it)

We will then start the distribution proper on Saturday 7th Jan, from 0930 again, and be there on  Saturdays and Sundays throughout January.

Again, all help gratefully received.

If there are others members that you can relay the information to, who might like to join us, please pass this message on!

Happy Christmas and a great New Year, but we hope to see you before the latter!
All the very best."

Carole and Ian Bainbridge
Seed Distribution Team

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
If you have been making your seed order online  but have not received a confirmation email to tell you that you have successfully completed the process please follow these steps:
1) Re-enter the seed system, by logging in with your membership number and personal password to see if you have properly gone through all the steps to finish your order and send it through to the seed team.

2) Check your email spam filter to see if the email is caught up there.

3) email me at info@srgc.org.uk   :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal