We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Confused Hermodactylus  (Read 937 times)

meanie

Confused Hermodactylus
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
The recent warmer weather has left some of my Hermodactylus tuberosus confused, resulting in a couple deciding it must be spring.
I'm looking at a house move soon if all the legal stuff is ok, so I'm going to lift them and pot them up anyway.
Has anyone else got any plants making an unwelcome appearance?
West Oxon where it gets cold!

PeterT

Re: Confused Hermodactylus
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
Herodactylus -Now included in Iris once more I believe, always apears early, like many of the xiphiums too. When frost comes they will slow down. I danfordiae seedlings are showing here, Iris hyrcana ""talysh form" will often flower in November too if it is planted or waterd early.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:58:42 PM by PeterT »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
Peter is right - mine are very advanced now with leaves up to 20cm long. It always appears well before Christmas. Like most of my bulbs it is especially early this year.

No appearance of a plant is unwelcome here though I do sympathise if you intend moving. We moved in a february when bulbs were in full growth - it would have been so much easier in summer when I could remove them from their pots and reduce the weight!

Gladiolus maculatus is always in flower on Christmas day but unless the weather cools down a lot it will be early by a few weeks this year.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

meanie

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
Thanks for that guys!
It was the first year that I had them flower, so they were late this year then.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Darren

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
My Hermodactylus flowered very late the last two years - delayed by the cold winters. They had produced foliage in autumn as usual but the flowers were delayed by the cold. It normally flowers in January or february with me (under glass) but it was late enough last year to be in good condition for the Blackpool show (mid-march).
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal