We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2011  (Read 8377 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
That could be true of several Tropaeolum species. I remember that my mother had T. polyphyllum growing from the top of a barrel but when, after some years she went to lift some bulbs for a friend, they were all on the bottom of the barrel in a layer and could only be reached by tipping the barrel and quite emptying it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
OK, experts.  Which hardy species would one recommend to climb a pergola.  I'm trying to avoid Ken Aslet, as it is so often used.  Is T. azureum hardy to -10°C?  How about T. polyphyllum or T. pentaphyllum?

And, then, does someone know a source of seed or tubers?

I have ordered some seed of T. azureum and T. sessilifolium from Chile and have seed of a few hybrids, as well as T. smithii and T. beuthii in pots chilling out until Spring.  Hoping for some success.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
OK, experts.  Which hardy species would one recommend to climb a pergola.  I'm trying to avoid Ken Aslet, as it is so often used.  Is T. azureum hardy to -10°C?  How about T. polyphyllum or T. pentaphyllum?

And, then, does someone know a source of seed or tubers?

I have ordered some seed of T. azureum and T. sessilifolium from Chile and have seed of a few hybrids, as well as T. smithii and T. beuthii in pots chilling out until Spring.  Hoping for some success.

Hi Regelian,
None of Tr AZUREUM or Tr PENTAPHYLLUM are considered hardy enough to be planted outdoors in Germany. Tr POLYPHYLLUM is hardy but only trailing and flowers for quite a short time. Tr TUBEROSUM would be a good choice as well as Tr CILIATUM or Tr SPECIOSUM. I think the latter would be the best flowering performer.
J-P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:26:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Lyon / FRANCE

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
For a pergola I would chose T. tricolor. T. polyphyllum wants to grow down rather than up and I doubt if it would be long enough in the stems anyway. I doubt if T. azureum would be tall enough either and for me at least, is above ground for just a short period.. I don't know a NH source though, for T. tricolor. Mine hasn't made seed that I've noticed. A friend has this growing over a tall brick wall.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:15:06 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
Thanks, Lesley, Jean-Patrick,

I think I will simply look out for seed of T. tricolor, T. speciosum, T. tuberosum and T. ciliatum, try them all.  As I understand it, the later does well under shrubs in partial shade.  Could be interesting.  Also, don't these all have slightly different bloom seasons?  Starting in Summer and progressing towards the first frost.  The pergola is long and can handle a few plants.  I hope I'm not making a mistake, as I did with Alstromeria, which has tubered so deeply, I'll never get it under control.  Fortunately it makes an excellent cut flower.  ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
With me, ciliatum flowers early summer and tricolor flowers later winter through spring.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
T. azureum today.

Alex

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »
Thanks, Lesley, Jean-Patrick,

I think I will simply look out for seed of T. tricolor, T. speciosum, T. tuberosum and T. ciliatum, try them all.  As I understand it, the later does well under shrubs in partial shade.  Could be interesting.  Also, don't these all have slightly different bloom seasons?  Starting in Summer and progressing towards the first frost.  The pergola is long and can handle a few plants.  I hope I'm not making a mistake, as I did with Alstromeria, which has tubered so deeply, I'll never get it under control.  Fortunately it makes an excellent cut flower.  ;D
I was given T ciliatum many years ago .... rather like the Alstromeria you mention it was a mistake to plant it out.  It runs quickly in my light soil and has defied all attempts to get rid of it.  It's no cut flower - more of a thug and every piece of root left in the ground seems to grow a new plant >:( 
I can send you a bit if you are still interested :P

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
I have a few seeds to send too, but maybe you're thinking better of it Jamie? Let me know.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
Anybody growing T sessilifolium?
I planted seed couple of weeks ago and they sprouted quickly. Did a mistake yesterday when I moved the pots and broke the taproots which extended through the pot and down in the sand below presumably to make a corm deep down. Hope they make new roots :(
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Regelian

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
Lesley,

I AM a fool....for a pretty flower.  Of course I want the seeds, you silly girl!  I have a Pyracantha hedge where they will be able to run rampant, and hopefully into the neighbours garden.....I like the tenants next door, but their landlord is an explicative, actually a bunch of explicatives.  His son will love it!  (do you still have my address?)

Hoy,

I take it you have the T. sessilifolium from Chilean Seed.  I ordered them, along with T. azureum, and mine just popped out of the ground en masse!  I didn't expect it to be so easy.  I expect the azureum to be my disappointment.

I haven't transplanted any of mine, planning on leaving them in the pot and tranplanting the whole lot into a container when they get a bit stronger.  I'm expecting them to be winterhardy in Cologne, but am not really sure.  From my experience with other plants, the tap root is typically less important as we think.  I remember reading of an incident at Kew, whereby the gardener clipped the tap root of all the Welwitschia seedlings, as it was too long for the already over deep containers.  Well, no harm done.  Actually, they seem to have grown better than with the tap root full length.  I get the feeling, the tap root simply need to reach a certain length for general survival, over this length, they come back with more finer, branched roots.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »
I'll send them off then. I already have your address. :)

Regelian

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
Thanks, Lesley,

I'm just off to bed....something to dream about.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
Could turn out to be a nightmare. You have been warned. ::)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 10:26:11 PM »
Hello,
Times are changing and weather's trying to drive us crazy...In France we have an abnormal spring with hot temperatures ( up to 30°C on my balconies ), full sun, wind, ...but no rain since the beginning of April! Most spring flowers bloomed and quickly faded away. We really feel we are in July...Of course- and unfortunately- my tropaeolum didn't like it and despite a hopeful winter growing season most of them failed to bloom and went withering...I have to find how to cope with this next year. Fortunately the tubers are safe!
Here's one which had the time to bloom: Tr AUSTROPURPUREUM ( as it has now to be named )
I would be interested in knowing about the results of the tropaeolum growers of this forum
Best wishes
J-P
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal