We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum azureum  (Read 5258 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Tropaeolum azureum
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
Tropaeolum azureum, tsk, tsk! Does anybody know how to germinate it? I have tried on numerous occasions but to no avail  ??? Despite all my best efforts, not once has anything appeared above ground level to spur me on. I have germinated just about everything else with different degrees of success, giant arums from Sumatra, blue amaryllis from Brazil, pitcher plants from tropical jungles, but this one continues to frustrate me to this day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Tropaeolum azureum
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »
Fresh seed Rogan? I don't grow it myself but some of the information sources I rely on stress the importance  of it. (Ironically, others say that dried seed can be soaked to help it along--suggesting that fresh seed isn't necessary).

The only authority to address T. azureum directly is Norm Deno, who suggests that they germinate best when started warm and shifted to cool (4 weeks or so at 70F and then to 40F), with germination starting 3-4 weeks after the shift to cool temperatures.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
Rogan and Carlo I cannot agree on the importance of fresh seed. I do grow it and have since 1989 I have collected seeds every year and tried everything to get a good and regular germination but the seeds have a mind of their own.
I have tried collecting the seed green as well as sowing it fresh but cannot get consistent results.
Two years ago I got the best germination I have had when 20 seeds germinated in one pot - I had done nothing different. Most years I am lucky if I get 1 or two seedlings from about 100 seeds. I have tried freezing heating, smoking everything without any success. I should mention that I sow the seeds deeply, half way down the pot.
I have germinated old seed stored for two years as well so it does remain viable for a long time.
Sorry I cannot give you the magic formula Rogan, I only wish I knew it, all I can say is keep trying and one day - you may hit lucky.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:32:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »
Same problem to me, I will try this year with GA3

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:04:09 PM »
I've tried from AGS and SRGS seed half a dozen times and never had more than a single seed germinate from any batch (usually 3 or 4 seeds). All that DID come up grew for a year until their dying down time then failed to reappear, except for the most recent attempt which is now in bud for the third year in a row. One of those really beautiful but frustrating things.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:59:47 AM »
Ah, another of those holy grail plants.  Maybe one day I'll get it.  At a local nursery yesterday I noted that they were selling large pots of T. tricolor (I already grow this), T. pentaphyllum and a yellow which I've forgotten teh name of, all in full flower.  At $40.00 each I was still tempted, particularly with the yellow.  Now if there had been an azureum in there...... would have grabbed it in an instant!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »
I have tried ... smoking everything without any success.

I think most people have tried smoking !

How does that help with seed growing ?  ;D ;D ;D
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:18:40 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll keep on trying!
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal