We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11910 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »
Yes. I agree with you Marcus, that double white picotee is lovely.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 03:35:46 AM »
Trying to find something for pictures, that isn't battered by winds, rain and now frosts. There are a few Iris unguicularis (syn stylosa) and the first retics are out, both these irises earlier than usual but I'll wait for the retics until a few more are open.

In the meantime, Narcissus 'Jumblie' is one of the best I think, totally reliable every year no matter what the conditions or how it is treated.
306130-0

Cyclamen coum is everywhere, again earlier than usual and this is a pot of seedlings I should have separated last year.
306132-1

I especially am fond of the coums with pewter leaves, which I just know as Pewter Group. I have about 30 good plants now, to plant out in a patch.
306134-2

This is one of the Bellarine double prims which have been about the last couple of year. 'Pink Ice,' an appropriate name for today.
306136-3
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 03:51:33 AM »
Earlier in the week I bought a group of 6 double primroses, no names or other tags, but not expensive and lovely colours. With the exception of the white, all have rather richer colour than my camera shows. The red, for example is the colour of a fully ripe and juicy tomato. All have a delicious perfume, same as polyanthus but with a slight touch of lemon added. The largest deep gold flower is filled with ice.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:30 AM »
I also meant to add the pictures below because of a note in the latest AGS Bulletin. (My June Bulletin arrived about a week after my July SRGC Journal!). There is a note about Geranium papuanum saying, "As far as I know, it's the sole introduction, until recently (and probably still) in cultivation from the two seedlings that germinated with me,..."

I don't know when Roy Elliott had his seeds from Canon Crutwell but it was introduced to New Zealand (as Geranium niu-guinii) as long ago as, I think, the 70s, and first catalogued by Parva Plants, back in the Ken White days (maybe not again though). I believe Ken too had received a little seed from his source. I have had it ever since and hope to list it next summer.

It makes a very neat mat with stolons to enlarge it and the flowers are a clean magenta colour. Even in the south here I have never had it frosted so it is reasonably hardy in spite of its homeland. I do sometimes take the precaution of throwing a frostcloth over on colder nights, but forgot to, last night and it is quite untouched. Even now, through winter there are still flowers and quite a lot of buds so the flowering is almost non-stop. I've only had a very few seeds from it and didn't do anything with them except sow them around it, in a raised bed. A single seedling was accidentally weeded out. I'll take better notice in future.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:25:54 AM by Lesley Cox »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:36 AM »
Some lovely plants Lesley. I quite like the geranium. Must be a highland species as Papua is tropical and a place I must visit before I die.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »

Deep in the hellebore season now. Thought I'd post a couple of my latest creations. I particularly like the first, a double white picotee, almost good enough to eat in a raspberry sundae sort of way.

Yummy Marcus   :P.

Mine aren't as nice although these 3 were raised from Aussie seed.

A couple of picotee.

306186-0

306188-1

A double.

306190-2

Crocus sieberi 'firefly' .

306192-3

Wonderful feathering of Crocus biflorus ssp biflorus  -i think that's what it is --long leaves at flowering --yellow throat.

306194-4

I've had this Narcissus tazetta ? for a number of years now but has never increased.Yes I've just noticed the unwanted visitor.... :).Don't know where the foliage ,(stem) has gone as the flowers look like they are suspended in space...

306196-5

Finally --Iris 'katharine hodgkin'

306198-6

Interestingly I've never noticed seedlings from the Geranium Lesley--- i have it planted out,( it even makes a wide flowering patch in semi shade),and is easy to propagate from Irishmans cuttings  ;D as it layers quite a bit....

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:45:57 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
It's a joy to see your spring folks. Much better than our grey old summer.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
Nice plants from the southern folk
Is it time for me to visit and see the flowers Dave ? Have to see Arne soon . Might keep going :)
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

angie

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
It's a joy to see your spring folks. Much better than our grey old summer.

Just what I was thinking David. Roll on spring.

Dave nice seeing your Hellebore's, just finished cutting off the last of my dead flowers today.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
Hi Guys

Thought you northerners night like to see what we call winter in the Deep South. I am grabbing hellebores for mail orders and I'm sure I am probably breaking some OH&S law by being out in the snow!

Cheers, Marcus
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:31:17 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »
Crikey!  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »

Hi Guys

A couple more interesting hellebores:
Slate ; reverse picotee/white blotch ; Double purple brushmark.

Cheers Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:23 AM »
Sorry - Pulled the trigger too soon!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »
I suppose with the short summer and long winter nights you've got nothing better to do than breed these fabulous varieties. ;D I like that double! 8)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »
Dave nice seeing your Hellebore's, just finished cutting off the last of my dead flowers today.

Thanks David/Angie.

Thought i had done that previously as well Angie however i see a multitude of seedlings popping up around a number of the different coloured doubles ::) ---Having no need of any more I've potted up at least 50 for David Lyttle .(his mammoth crevice garden needs filling somehow  ;D ;) ).

Nice plants from the southern folk
Is it time for me to visit and see the flowers Dave ? Have to see Arne soon . Might keep going :)

You are welcome anytime Bud.
Just a few early things out so far Steve --the peak will be at Trillium time ,normally early Sept onwards,(although with this very mild winter so far who can tell..).

Actually I'm up past your way tomorrow giving a talk on Fiordland to the Outram garden Club.Probably be back in your area about 3.45--4 ish --- cuppa maybe ??

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:16:37 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal