We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS/SRGC Hexham Show  (Read 20131 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Hexham AGS/SRGC Show 31st March 2007
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »
I love the Primula marginata "Shipton's Form", I must try to find one of those.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Final batch of plants from Hexham:

Hepatica hybrid - americana x acutiloba (David Boyd)
Cyclamen rhodium ssp peleponnesianum (David Boyd)
Fritllaria tubiformis (David Millward)

I was just taking pictures of plants that caught my eye as I walked around, and you may notice that many of them were exhibited by David Boyd. For those of you who do not know David, he is a very skilled exhibtor of plants with a particular interest in hepaticas, cyclamen and hellebores.

Peter
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 07:15:47 PM »
You're going great guns, Peter!  Thank You!

According to a post by Chris B in the iris thread, I think Darren's Iris is I. suaveolens violacea.

That Broadwell Milkmaid gets about a bit, doesn't she? Must be the farm air!

Nice to see some of Boydie's plants...he is such a fantastic grower, though heaven knows how he manages to grow such good stuff when he is overun by those cats of his, you'd wonder anything survived those 'puddy tats'.... wonder what state his curtains are in? ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Peter, I enjoyed them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Peter Maguire

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
Maggi,

Yes, now that you mention it I was totally wrong about the Iris.

I'll put it down to the lack of sleep. I used to be a little disbelieving when Alan Newton was show secretary telling me tales of getting up at 5.30 on the morning of the show to get his plants ready after setting up the show until the small hours of the morning. Well this year, having finally got to bed by 00.50, there I was in the greenhouse at 06.00 cleaning pots (I managed a second prize!).

It would seem that a certain streak of madness is needed to show plants.

Peter

Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Peter Maguire

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
And finally from Hexham, for those of you who have not been to the Hexham show, I thought that a general overview of the show hall might be of interest -picture 1. Also the local group display of fishbox troughs was mentioned, there are two pictures of this display which won a large gold award from the AGS (does Chelsea beckon next, or are the team too exhausted?) - pictures 2 & 3. Also the obligatory photo of judges enjoying their job - picture 4 (from left to right: Geoff Mawson, Ian Bainbridge, Jean Wyllie, John Richards, Carole Bainbridge and Robert Rolfe. It might help someone put faces to names)

Peter
Peter Maguire

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
Hi, I got to the show too, and posted some pix elsewhere on the site, here are some that are not on this thread yet
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 09:22:30 PM »
The little iris is particularly attractive. Hopefully some seed will turn up in a list at some stage. And a great Haastia! In nature it grows into a dead flat cushion, extremely hard, with the shoots all of even length but I like this uneven version (the result of growing under glass probably), it's more interesting. (I don't mean a flat plant, it's a great humpy thing, just that the surface is smooth.)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: AGS/SRGC Hexham Show
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 11:38:55 PM »
I need/want to attend an English show!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Darren

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »
Hi folks,
            The show was great and I agree with the comments above on that lovely Iris pumila. There was also a nice Iris suaveolens rubromarginata on the bench, with more blue/purple flowers than my 'violacea' and red margins to the leaves.

I'm still gobsmacked about winning the Sandhoe trophy. I was convinced that the card had been put in the wrong place until the Bainbridges convinced me otherwise. I almost left the plant in the car too....

Darren.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

SueG

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:44 AM »
I also took some pics at Hexham so here are some other things which caught my eye!

a view down the benches
Peter M talking with Ron M with John Richards on left
the door keepers! David Boyd on left and I don't know the other names though they know me which is slightly scary!
Darren procreating on the showbench!
One of Davod B's hepaticas
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

SueG

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »
More pics of plants
a study in purple
a nice cyclamen
the plant I wanted to take home with me Cymbidium
and a close up
Iris attica

SueG

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »
and more
lupinus and a scilla and another iris
My other pics replicate ones already here or are not very good - my camera does not like the light in the hall so several pics are without flash and a bit too blurry to post.
I bought a number of plants - erythroniums, narcissus, asarum and sold lots more at the members plant table plus had a few plants in the show. I think there were more people there than the last couple of years - certainly felt like that, and there seemed to be a lot more plants in sections B & C.
Alll in all an enjoyable if exhausting day
Sue

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
Susan
Primula Netta Dennis is a cross between Aureata and Gracilipes - so I was told.  It first appeared on the show benches about 8 years ago. Bob Meaden and I managed to get hold of a plant each which I carefully nurtured until I forgot to open the greenhouse door one day and came back in the evening to find it baked.  I have never seen it offered again by any nursery.  I suppose the only way to obtain one is to ingratiate yourself with the current growers or try crossing the plants yourself.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
By heck: some show! 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal