We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Misnamed dwarf Thalictrum?  (Read 5235 times)

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Misnamed dwarf Thalictrum?
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
Hello all!
I bought this plant 5 or 6 years ago as Thalictrum koreanum. But I couldn't find any information on such a plant, so I suppose it was misnamed...
It proved to be a tough and lovely ground cover, expanding nicely with time, blooming sparsely but for a long time in a half shady position, in pretty hard clayish soil.
I had also tried Thalictrum kiusianum, but I lost it on  the second winter. It was quite a different plant, in fact:
The so-called  "koreanum" has light green, nearly perfectly rounded leaves, not as irregular as kiusianum, and twice as large as those of kiusianum. It is taller also, say the leaf mound is over 2 inches high, and the flowers reaching 4 inches in height (kiusianum was closer to 1 to 1.5 inches, blooming at maximum 3 inches, in the same growing conditions).
The "koreanum" habit is a dense mound, the various leaves overlapping and merely covering the soil, while kiusianum was much more transparent.
Does anyone know/recognize this lovely plant?
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:53:45 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Misnamed dwarf Thalictrum?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
You may find this paper interesting (if it doesn't make your head spin first!).  And toward the bottom of the first column, first page, it explains the difference between T. ichangense and T. coreanum.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:52:47 PM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
If this is any help Nicole, this is Thalictrum ichangense v minus from Crûg plants. (Sorry about the bits of dead Caulophyllum in the background ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
That's a very cute little flower Brian. :) Just like you. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »
Oh thank you for your help, all of you!
Silly me, I hadn't even thought of changing koreanum for coreanum!!!!
From your pictures and links, I'm confident it must be Thalictrum coreanum then: T. ichangense seems to have more or less markings on the leaves, while my plant is plain green.
Very interesting link, Rick, I'll have increased respect for my plant's styles in the future!  ;)
I love the "ventrally indistinctly stigmatic" idea! Lol...Could someone clarify it for me? Does it mean (just a rough guess) that the styles central part, resembling some sort of a belly, does not show any intention of separating into stigmas?
Thank you for introducing T. ichangense to me, Maggi and Brian-Lesley's-cutie! I'll have to try it if I can! Lovely markings indeed!
And since it has so many similarities with my Thalictrum (k)coreanum that one might be a variant of the other, it would certainly be a welcome new recruit for my garden!
Thanks again!
Zephirine

(Hum hum, Maggi, I'm afraid you mentioned some other french lady's christian name... ;D...)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:22:19 AM by zephirine »

Gunilla

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »
Thalictrum ichangense is very cute  (as is Brian);D.  I visited Crug Farm this spring and couldn't resist the dark leaved variety, T. ichangense v. minus 'Chinese Chintz'

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »
Gee, at this rate we're going to have to start a topic just dedicated to admiring Brian!!  :P

;)

Cute little Thalictrums, all of them.  I love that dark leaved variety.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
My apologies to the fan club  8) 8) I have only just seen your replies (falls off chair in hysterics as I am more akin to the dead Caulophyllum foliage)!  I'm glad we have solved your problem between us Nicole, these miniature Thalictrums are really nice...as are the giant ones like T.reniforme and T.Elin!

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
I think we can derive from the latest posts that Dead Caulophyllum Leaves are more popular, by far, than was normally expected! ;D
Sorry, Brian, but "Nicole" is another member, I'm afraid...
(No use to give you my official christian name, since my family uses an old nickname with me, and 99% of my friends have adopted "Zeph", "Zephke" ,"Zephrineke" (belgian versions), or "Zephy" instead. The official one is now only used in my professional or administrative life!  ;) )
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:45:57 AM by zephirine »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
(Hum hum, Maggi, I'm afraid you mentioned some other french lady's christian name... Grin...)
Oh, my goodness, so I did.... Zephy, my mistake... there are so many chic Franch ladies here, you know ;)

I do agree that these small thalictrums are very appealing. I cannot say we see a great many grown in the gardens I know here.  :'(

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:45 AM »
(Hum hum, Maggi, I'm afraid you mentioned some other french lady's christian name... Grin...)
Oh, my goodness, so I did.... Zephy, my mistake... there are so many chic Franch ladies here, you know ;)

I do agree that these small thalictrums are very appealing. I cannot say we see a great many grown in the gardens I know here.  :'(

My apologies too Zephy, I put it down to wear and tear of the grey cells in the brain department ;)

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Oh  never mind, Maggi and Brian! No problem! It happens to me too! :-[

I'm also surprised of the restrained audience for these tiny thalictrums.They are really tough, and good ground-covers, ideal for the border edge, and making a very nice contrast with many other half-shade plants with more lanceolate or large leaves.
Don't you think they might suffer for the reputation of their taller cousins, often considered as difficult to satisfy?
Aquilegifolium, Elin, Rochebruneanum and other beauties do grow in my garden, all right, but they don't clump up, I must say, and seldom catch the eye of the passer-by with their clouds of tiny flowers.. I would have to plant half  a dozen of them in the same spot, at least, to have a decent sized clump.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
Yes, I think the little ones may be thought of as having the habits of their big brothers.

The little ones can look very attractive at he egde of a raised bed... we use T. kiusianum in this way... it brings the delicate plants up to nearer eye level and shows off the dainty flowers  very well.

maggiepie

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
These little thalictrums are all gorgeous.
Probably the main reason why lots of people aren't growing them is because they can't get their hands on any.
I would grow them all if I could.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal