We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blackpool Show 17th March 2007  (Read 21537 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Blackpool Show 17th March 2007
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
Those cyclamen are really stunning. I take my hat off to the growers because it must take years of patience to grow a plant to these standards? I'm certainly nowhere near ready to risk showing any of my plants.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
Cracking Primulas as well. Thanks for posting John.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 09:33:04 PM »
Real stunners John, both the plants and the pics, especially the CC. rholfsianum and the silver-leaved persicum. And I like P. `Pink Aire' very much. For a moment I thought the colour was reflection from the blue behind it. Must get some decent seed from somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:46:40 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
And in the larger show report, a great thrill to see Betty's daffs doing well in the wider world.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
Here are the last of my pics

Not sure that Callianthemum anemonoides is found on the slag heaps of Wales but the coal is a good background top dressing for the flowers.
A few quids worth in this pot of Tecophilea-cyanocrocus.
I'm rather partial to the orchids and the Ophrys need close scrutiny. Here Ophrys bombyliflora.
I haven't come across this little orchid from the Holy lands, Orchis-gallilea.The individual flowers though tiny are rather beautiful.
Finally a beautiful Pulsatilla  halleri slavica was backlit by the light from the window.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:37:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you John. I'm partial to Ophrys spp. and Orchis spp. too. The flower of Ophrys bombyliflora looks like something out of Dr Who and Orchis gallilea is very pretty.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:27:36 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
 I don't think I have seen Orchis gallilea before. It is charming,  such soft colours and the foliage seems soft and furry. A dainty, yet sturdy little plant. I love it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2007, 10:24:50 AM »
Thanks again John for showing us around.
I find that Pulsatilla halleri absolutely ravishing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

SueG

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
Great to see the pictures, I took my camera but never got round to taking any pics. The little daffs from Jean W were great. Find I can take or leave the big cushion plants - I'm just never certain that underneath all that flower there is a real plant at all!
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »
Is it ordinary coal that's used for top dressing at the Callianthemum picture? I were in the believe that it was poisonous for plants! We do have an old heap of it, and if I could use it this way it would be perfect :) I also think that it looks very nice. As a comment I can say that we have tried to get rid of our coal at the local land fill, but they refused to take it because of possible environmental problems :o

Cheers
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 02:32:20 AM »
Another beautiful bunch John, every one a perfect treasure. You are so good at photographing HAIRS.

Per-Ake, without knowing anything about the chemical makeup of coal, and perhaps different types of coal have different chemicals, I have no reason to think coal is poisonous to plants. There is a widely used composty stuff here in NZ traded as "Superdirt" usually and about one third of the content of that is crushed lignite. It isn't very dusty in that even when wet, it doesn't leave one's hands filthy so it must be fine gritty stuff. It's mixed with fine crushed pinebark and a few other less pleasant animal products and though it doesn't SOUND very nice, in fact is a very good growing medium, slightly acid and I use it as the base of all my potting and seed mixes, just adding extra pinebark or grit/sand as required.  Far from being poisonous, it is very good for anything from the cabbage/carrot patch, to high growing alpines and the rarer, more difficult bulbs such as juno irises. It is very free draining too which is a help.

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »
Thanks for your informative reply Lesley! Coal were used in Sweden I believe during WW2, but after that it were quickly overrunned by oil. Most Swedes would probably don't know what it is. I will give it a try in my compost :)

Cheers
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »
We use char coal and that is much purer and has been used for tropical orchids for a looong time. It is said to help against deseases.
We also had had charcoal at the farmacy against diarea. That was of more controlled origen.
The problem with the "stone coal" = the one on the picture is that it contains more than coal and some of those compounds are not ideal for humans. Thay are of no problems to the plants so the city dump is maybe right in neglecting to take it.
Per Åke I think You can sell it to peole that uses wood for heating if You have a lot and can not use everything for composts.
If using it for bbq as we do with charcoal I would wait extra long before putting the food on the grill.

Good luck
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Saturday 17th March 2007 Blackpool Show
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
More from the Blackpool Show here:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/blackpool/report.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal