We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blackpool Show 17th March 2007  (Read 21536 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Blackpool Show 17th March 2007
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
Thank you John for super pics. I hope there will be more when you've got your breath back. From Tenerife too please.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
Maggi
Jims daughters are Gemma and Kate (and you couldn't wish to meet 2 nicer girls) so I guess both Saxes are feminine!  I couldn't pick a favourite, they are both grand.  Not sure about you in pink though :-\

I have lots of pics from the AGS Kent show.  Not sure where to post them .... could go in 'events' but I'm inclined to put the Frits, Narcissus and Hepatica in the relevant threads.  What do you think?

Here are a couple of tasters.  Bob and Rannveig Wallis' assembled troops (I did manage to sneak one class off them - YES!) They took the Farrer with Erythronium multiscapoideum ... one for the BD.   And a general bench view.  More later.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
Jims daughters are Gemma and Kate

Tony, I didn't know that Jim had these two daughters, I have not had the pleasure of meeting them but their namesakes are certainly charming!

Not sure about you in pink though

Don't be silly, you must have heard of, if not seen, pink elephants?

Not sure where to post them .... could go in 'events' but I'm inclined to put the Frits, Narcissus and Hepatica in the relevant threads.  What do you think?

I think you are probably correct to put them in their individual pages. I'm thinking about a page for "At the Shows" for pictures of the general scene, people and so on... how does that idea appeal? I hoped it would encourage more of the candid shots that everyone seems to enjoy so much... like those posted by JoF of the Judges etc.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »
I must say the weather could have turned nasty whilst I was away and been nice when I returned but I guess that only happens in Camelot.

Here are a few more pics from the show.

First some daffs a la Jean Wyllie and another. ( I must be a real plantophile, I always forget to look at the exhibitor's name) I know Jean's because she was with me when I took them.

I will post these Hepaticas here too. By the way, I nearly came over all faint when I saw a £200+ price tag on a single plant on one of the nurseries.
I like the doubles but I think I would have walked off with the Millstream Merlin given the choice.

Narcissus 'Betty Mae'
Narcissus'Twin Stars'
Narcissus 'Gypsy Queen'

Hepatica nobilis var. japonica 'Junisen'
Hepatica nobilis var. japonica 'Koetsu'
Hepatica 'Millstream Merlin'

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:25:11 PM by Maggi Young »
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »
Oooooooh!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 02:30:45 PM »
More great pix, JoF, what would we do without you? So glad you came back from Tenerife in time ;)

The Wyllie Wifie's pot of Narcissus 'Twin Stars' is looking good, isn't it? Such a pretty thing. And N. 'Betty Mae' is proving a good doer, too.

Yummy hepaticas, but I think I draw the line at £200 . The seller should have had a seat nearby for those of a nervous disposition!
I agree that 'Millstream Merlin' is just exquisite.... I will now make lots of you jealous by telling you that we were lucky enough to be given a piece of this plant by a wonderful grower the other year. How's that for a gift, eh? Thanks, Boydie! :-* :-*

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
I was in contact yesterday with Jim Almond, who has been having some technical difficulties with his website lately, to encourage him to persevere with renewing all his "lost links/pages" etc. I am confident you will echo my words of support to him. Jim's site is this one: Alpines for the Enthusiast, and is a super resource for alpine gardeners, see  http://freespace.virgin.net/almond.jim/

However, I'm digressing again, The point was, I was congratulating Jim on Geoff Rollinson's continued success with the Saxifraga 'Coolock Gem' which was raised by Jim. Geoff has won several medals with this excellent plant, which he grows to perfection but the fact is, the plant is a "Good 'un" to start with, and every little helps, even if you are GR! We all know Geoff could put roots on a walking stick, but it wouldn't win Medals without that neat form and all those flowers!
Jim has kindly given me a photo of the winning plant, to compliment JoF's pic; I'm tempted to caption it "and here's one I made earlier"

9532-0

9534-1
Jim Almond
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:54:09 PM by Maggi Young »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 04:07:18 PM »
I use Jim's site an awful lot, if he needs encouragement to sort the technical problems I can give him oodles of it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
Oooooooh!

I'm with Anthony with additional "o's"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
What another series of stunning plants and photos. :D
Thanks a lot John - and how on earth do you go about to preserve the true "blue" on your pix - it hardly ever works with me  :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 08:25:13 PM »
Thanks a lot John - and how on earth do you go about to preserve the true "blue" on your pix - it hardly ever works with me  :'(

Millstream Merlin is a super plant, it really is a wonderful shade of blue.  It's very hard to come by (hint, hint, if anyone has a spare or would do a swap for a japonica!).  Not sure about the rendition of colour of H Koetsu - compare my picture of Hepatica Koetsu
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=49.144
with John's on this thread.  Mine was taken in natural light, though rather shady conditions of my greenhouse.  John's was taken in the artificial light of the show hall - not sure whether with flash or not?   John's picture definitely favours the true blue end of the spectrum and my picture goes towards the bluey-purple - hard to judge which is more accurate.   
I'll need to take another look when I'm next at home in daylight   :-\
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 10:24:11 PM »
I had Hepatica 'Koetsu' and was told to plant it in the garden and not 'coddle it in a pot' :'(. If there is ever a next time, I'll coddle it!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 12:23:30 AM »
Jim Almond is getting up to date with his show reports, and has sent this message:

"Ahhhh - thanks and OK I'm inspired - more midnight oil......   Jim"

"Just for you - (and others of course) I'm now inspired. I have South Wales
and Loughborough up my sleeve but thought I'd better 'appear' up to date and
the retrospective ones can be a 'surprise'!"

http://alpineenthusiast.atspace.com/BP07.htm  This url is in addition to his usual website, part of the changes happening, I gather.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:23:38 PM by Maggi Young »

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »
Second Photo Caption,

'Who's spotted that bloke taking a picture'.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
If you can have a 'gaggle of geese' etc what is the collective name for show judges?
Sorry, Blackpool!
A Disagreement of Judges?
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal