We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: albuca viruses?  (Read 1857 times)

orpheos

albuca viruses?
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
i notice these strange signs on the petals of this plant... when I bought it two weeks ago they aren't visible..
may be a virus?? the leaves don't show any mark..
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Ezeiza

Re: albuca viruses?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
Have you looked at the leaves tips?

Are these those bulbs plundered from the wild for sale that were mentioned in some postings?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

orpheos

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
hi Alberto
i've notice only the signs on the leaves shown in the photos below.. I don't know if these marks are sun damages..
no, this one is a cultivar called 'frizzle sizzle' that probably came from netherland... i've bought from a garden center...
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Fantastic leaves but maybe the brown patches and the streaky flowers tell the true story. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
It is the true Albuca spiralis. See the base clasping foliage?

orpheos

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:13:30 AM »
hi Alberto
yes I think also it's an spiralis, i suppose it's only a selected clone;)
sorry i don't understand what you mean...what should i see at the base?
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
In true spiralis the leaves neatly clasp the base of the foliage. In other species with similar species the arrangement of the leaves look "untidy".

Matteo, of course you know that any newly introduced plant must be grown for a period in a spot away from the main collection. This gives very good results as when the plants are subject to the stress of a drastic change of environment any latent disease (like virosis) rapidly becomes apparent.

orpheos

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
yes i know, i keep away every new one;) so do you think it is really a virus? :(
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
On the flowers, yes. On the leaves it looks like mildew, another shocking demonstration of how virus symptoms can mask themselves.

When discarding it, make sure to burn pot, mix and plant.

orpheos

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
i notice that the signs on the flower have increased dimension(now almost all the surface of the petal has changed color) and looks like that the petal has taken frost.. it's also this a signs of viruses??

~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
Desert plants are often pruinose (covered by a natural wax that avoids  evaporation) like a grey/silver/white patina covering the natural color. This wax can be easily removed by finger touch. Something similar appears on grapes and berries. This is natural and no indication of disease at all.

What is of concern in your Albuca is the broken color of the tepals. This is always indication of virus infection. It is called "mosaic" pattern. Variegation of many plants are produced by virus infection and it is amazing to see people keeping them. Natural variegation (not caused  by disease) does not look broken. You can see examples of virused Clivias and Rohdea in the web that are caused by viruses and these viruses are contagious to other plants. This is basically the problem with them. If the problem would stay in the plant, there would be no reason for concern.

orpheos

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
probably you don't understand what i meen.. i attach a photo;)  i've already saw color breaking in cattleya percivalliana for example but i don't know that  in bulbs these breaking are semitransparent in backlight and with time, they enlarged.. the photo is from the flower posted before, now is closed but this morning not..
i try to make seeds so i have to keep this plant for a while in a far away place...
~◊~ Matteo ~◊~

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal