We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA DAVIDII FRUITING 2011  (Read 4887 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: FRITILLARIA DAVIDII FRUITING 2011
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks David  :)
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
Fritillaria davidii is her (Chen-yi) Fritillaria sp. # 4. Mine form received from her turned week grower, I lost it and no one flowered. The form from Bob and Ranweig is much more vigorous and it seem (by leaves) that next spring will be very good blooming although I never got seeds from it. From other side - I never tried to handpollinate it. May be it is selfsterile and I need another clone for seeds.
Janis
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:55:41 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
Search and ye shall find ;D

http://chenyinursery.com/

Direct from the wild to your garden - allegedly.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

I wouldn't be at all surprised. Personally I wouldn't order from her.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »

I don't think that all are from wild. A lot of frits are cultivated in China for medical purposes (I saw pictures with pallidiflora, ussuriensis, walujewii on field planted in long lines). If bulbs would come from wild they would be of different sizes, but those which many years ago I got from her where all very uniform in shape and size. Such usually are cultivated bulbs. Of course - only few were corectly named. In several cases under various names I got one species. Most curious was when under name of Scilla I twice got Polygonum (never got any real Scilla). I don't know how it was with Arisaema and Orchids and others. Personally I ordered only frits, Corydalis and Scilla. Corydalis by size of tubers could be wild collected, although they are cultivated in China for medical purposes, too. Those Arisaeamas which offered PCh, certainly were from this Chinese lady and most were incorrectly named (such information I got from my foreigen friends loving Arisaemas too much - by my opinion).
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Gerry Webster

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 05:01:49 PM »
Ever since Chinese frits started appearing in the UK some years ago there have been allegations that at least some of them  have been looted from the wild  - allegations which are difficult to prove or disprove. Some are certainly cultivated for medicinal use; see, for example, this paper by  Leon, Fay & Rix:

www.kew.org/science/ecbot/papers/leon2009fritillaria.pdf

However, it appears that not all the useful species are amenable to commercial cultivation & some are endangered. I have never seen any reference to F. davidii being used medicinally.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rann

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »
Hi Ian & Paul,

I am very interested in your observations of the seed of this strange species.  Are the seeds are as flat as most species and are they more fleshy? Is the capsule stiff and upright, or collapsing like the Japanese species?

Many thanks

Rannveig

Rann

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
Hi Darren & Paul,

I am very interested in your observations of the seed of this strange species.  Are the seeds are as flat as most species and are they more fleshy? Is the capsule stiff and upright, or collapsing like the Japanese species?

Many thanks

Rannveig

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
Hi Rannveig,
If memory serves, the seeds were fairly typical, flat like most species, though perhaps a little thicker and small in overall size (see photo near the start of this topic). I honestly can't remember what the capsule was like and sadly didn't take any pictures. The seedlings have, for the first time, this year produced leaves that are of adult size, but I doubt the bulbs themselves are yet big enough to flower.
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 11:27:41 AM »
Welcome, Rannveig,  nice to "see" you here.  :)

On the first post of this thread  ( previous page) Darren shows photos of both the seed pod and seeds.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
Happily I can report the seedlings are looking good this autumn and I reckon are only a year or so off flowering. They seem to me to be more vigorous than either parent clone. Thanks to Wilma and Jim Wright I now have offsets of the pollen parent too and hope for a repeat performance in future though my plants of the seed parent have done very poorly for the last two seasons.

To confirm - the seeds are, as Paul says, a bit thicker and smaller than the usual papery seeds, and quite pale in colour too.

As hinted by the pictures - the capsule is held quite straight on a stem at about 45 degrees and has odd pustules on it. It dehisces whilst still green so vigilance is needed. I may still have a picture of the whole plant with the capsules developing which will illustrate this better. I won't be able to post it for a couple of days though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:22:43 PM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Darren

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
Found them sooner than I thought. Here is the sequence.

First picture is late April - about a month after pollination. At this stage the leaves are dying back but the two fruiting stems (and their leaves behind the capsules) stayed green and remained green until the capsule was mature - long after the basal leaves had gone.

In early may one capsule aborted because the stem was eaten through by a snail lower down. This picture shows the aborted seeds which were clearly immature and only half the size of the eventual successful ones.

Only a few days later (may 17th) the stem leaves on the mature capsule began to yellow. Then the stem seemed to weaken and shrivel almost overnight, the stem leaves became fully yellow and the capsule dehisced.

So - I do recall that the stem weakened and collapsed immediately as the capsule matured, as Rannveig suggests happens with the Japanese species but as I don't grow any I can't comment further.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:41:27 PM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal