We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA DAVIDII FRUITING 2011  (Read 4942 times)

Darren

FRITILLARIA DAVIDII FRUITING 2011
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
 Fritillaria davidii capsule and seed.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:48:29 AM by Maggi Young »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: FRITILLARIA DAVIDII FRUITING 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:07:46 AM »
Very well done Darren. I hope these photos get as far as the Frit Group Bulletin and wasn't it Mathew who said there was no record of seed in cultivation or words to that effect? Or that seed capsules had never been observed? So your pictures are of an historic nature and importance.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:48:46 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
I agree, Lesley, this is an important observation/event..... have moved this to its own thread!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »
Hi Darren
Good to see you got Fritillaria davidii seed. Chris Norton & I have also managed to get seed this year. At the Spring Fritillaria Group meeting Chris had a plant (I believe from the Wallis's) which was in bud but not yet fully open. I had another which was in flower (traceable to a Chen Yi import in 2001) and which was clearly a different clone - shorter, more rounded leaves than Chris's and with the flowers much more yellow with less tesselation. I suggested that I would save pollen from my plant and post it to him once his was open. We did this and he manged to get two pods. Bob Charman took pictures of the pods (which I have not yet seen) and I took pictures of the seed once Chris sent me some.

What have you done with your seed? We decided the best thing to do was to sow it immediately. I have put my pot outside in cool shade and will keep it moist. Fingers crossed.

Paul

Here are pictures of the seed next to a ruler (marked in millimetres) and of the flower on my plant:

Fritillaria davidii seed
Fritillaria davidii flower

Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »
It seems to me that this year it has been lucky that assorted factors have worked out to provide the necessary conditions for seed formation..... now to work out what all those factors were for you guys!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Has anyone managed to flower it in the open garden? I'm not sure where I should plant mine, a moist spot in full sun, or half shade?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Has anyone managed to flower it in the open garden? I'm not sure where I should plant mine, a moist spot in full sun, or half shade?
Martyn Rix & Brian Mathew (in Curtis's Botanical Magazine, 2000) refer to plants "put out in a woodland situation in south-west England, in Devon, [which] have survived but not flowered."
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
It is hardy to at least 4F without snow cover planted out in a raised bed/frame here. The bed froze like an ice block each winter.  I had it for 4 or 5 years from a Chinese introduction where it increased in size and vigor annually but never flowered, then I moved it into the garden when I dismantled the frame.  I haven't looked at it recently but it certainly hasn't flowered.  It favors partial shade in a soil that does not dry out in summer.  Each year it made new leaves in September/October and went dormant in May.

Best,

John
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

arisaema

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
Thank you both for the comments! It survived -20C/-4F in a pot my cold frame this last winter, so it really is bone hardy. If it prefers partial shade for you John, in Pennsylvania, it would probably be happier with full sun here in Norway.

Darren

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
The seed was sown immediately Paul, exactly as you did, and some sent to another grower as extra insurance who did the same.

Your story is similar to mine - the pollen parent was very similar to your 'Chen Yi' clone and both were in flower together at the Hexham show. I do not yet know if the reverse cross worked. Two capsules formed on mine but I lost one as the stem became damaged further down.

Just repotted the seed parent and was delighted to find a lot of very large bulbs this year (up to 5cm across in one case).

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:43:55 AM by Darren »

Darren

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »
Ian posted a picture of the first of his share of the seeds germinating back in August. It took a few more weeks (late september) before any of mine popped up despite being sown on the same day. I am happy to report I now have 14 seedlings (see picture) which seem to be doing well.

I have also posted a close up to show that some of the seedlings are now growing true leaves alongside the cotyledon.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
Great news Darren, well done.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Well done,I never managed to ever get mine in flower,

Paul is Chen Yi still in business,I did deal with her for a while ,then suddenly all went quiet,I wondered if she was getting hastle from the authorities
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Chen Yi is certainly in business.

She send out an extensive list this year - fingers crossed there have been no natural disasters  to reduce what is available this year.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
Search and ye shall find ;D

http://chenyinursery.com/
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal