We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blue poppies  (Read 7524 times)

Roma

Blue poppies
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
My blue poppies have started to flower.  The wind and rain we've been getting has not been kind to them.
First the one I know as Meconopsis x sheldonii 'Cruickshank' though I believe it is identical to Meconopsis 'Bobby Masterton'
In the third picture the one behind to the left is Meconopsis betonicifolia 'Glacier Blue' from AGS seed sown in December 2008.  this is their first flowering and what a glorious colour! Then a closeup of 'Glacier Blue'.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

angie

Re: Blue poppies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
Very nice Roma, I do love these blue meconopsis. They will be enjoying the rain this afternoon.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
Hello

Lovely!

By me was today the first day of the meconopsis new flowers season. It started too with M.betonicifolia, which I was soooooo happy to see again after a whole year of waiting.
Best weather this morning to take some shots of it, under light sunshine. Amazing how a plant can really thrill you!
Unfortunetaly, we had a strong thunderstorm on the afternoon, heavy rain, windgales, and even lots of ( fortunately) little hail. I prayed the hail doesn't get larger, and it actually stayed by the size of little green peas.
The thunderstorm ended into thick fog, thus giving a strange monsoon atmosphere
Though the garden didn't appreciate much that violent "watering" and everything looks so "tired" this evening.
At least it brought some welcomed water to the plants, even if the major part of it just rushed down the beds into the pathes.
Under a pic of the morning meconopsis after the little hail/downpour of the afternoon. A little shocked but still ok. The flowerbuds weren't hurt by the hail ( but some of the rhodos look now quite ugly, sad).
M.punicea, integrifolia, grandis, and aculeata, non flowering, also stayed unharmed .
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
Hi

Home seedling surprise, twice more pleasure and blue with this doubled flower M.betonicifolia.
Though I'm not very keen on double flower with any plant, I think it could get somehow interesting this time with blue poppies  ::)

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
A few meconopsis from this morning

M.betonicifolia and orange M.cambrica together. ( did someone already try to cross both? I am making the try, and I'm now waiting if seed is going to form or not. For the moment, it rather looks like it isn't going to give everything at all. Well, our european meconopsis doesn't really belong entirely to the asiatic meconopsis family, but it is well worth a try)

M.grandis. With very few pollen available in the stamens.

And finally M.horridula 'Silver'. A tiny thing, but with great charm beside his giant brothers. Perhaps somebody can tell me if this one is a horticultural selection or simply a natural variation which was named 'silver'?

Bye!

Philippe

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
Brand new flower of meconopsis horridula, with some sunlight to make it even more pleasant to look at.

majallison

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
Lovely Meconopsis, Philippe. With regard to hybrids between M. cambrica & the Asiatic species, they have been created. I would think they're more curious than beautiful, as the flowers are brown.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Taken a picture of my Meconopsis betonicifolia today before I put the flower netting on . Two layers . One at 300mm and another at 600mm . Hopefully this will stop the stems snapping .
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
My goodness, they look healthy. Isn't it tricky to get them fleeced with the trees in the middle?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »
Going round the trees should be OK . I put them there because the plants are out in the open in a paddock and hope the flowering cherries will provide shade as they get older . I'm too lazy to put up a shadehouse for them .

Being south of Dunedin means cooler weather but often it's windier usually just as the plants come into flower . The flower stems partially break a third of the way up then lie on the ground and try again to flower vertically . These S -shaped stems will still flower but set no viable seed .

Pleased the cookies arrived Maggi . When I realised I didn't have your mailing address I ate them , then had to get some more . Ate those too . Third time lucky

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »
Blue poppy update . The M.betonicifolia are starting to flower but the M.Lingholm are well under way now

318946-0

318948-1

Roma

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
Super crop of blue poppies ;D.  I have late flowers on some of mine.  I had a single flower at this time a few years ago but there have been a few this year.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
Blue poppy update . The M.betonicifolia are starting to flower but the M.Lingholm are well under way now

WOW, those are....WOW  :o :o Wish we could grow them like that over here.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Will Youngman

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
Stunning looking Meconopsis you guys are growing. I may be wrong but I think M.betonicifolia was renamed in (2009)? and is now known as M Baileyi?

Regards Will

At every turn of the wheel there ends a Revolution

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
Cheers guys . An advantage of living south of Dunedin is the deteriorating climate as you head south . Rainfall is (usually) more frequent and the summer temperatures are cooler . Add to that lots of compost made from the leftovers at the local coffee factory and you have Meconopsis growing in a cool climate and with loads of caffeine on tap .

Further south of us is an area known as "The Catlins" . They can grow Meconopsis  there in the full sun (metaphorically speaking) and never have to water them as the climate has reached rock bottom as far as NZ is concerned . Lovely scenery though

Will - I read Chris Grey-Wilson's paper and according to that I am growing M.baileyi and agree with it but it will take me awhile to get out of the habit

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal