We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus 2007  (Read 15784 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Haemanthus 2007
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 07:53:19 AM »
Luit ,

It is clear that this plant is expensiv .
I believe there is not a problem with pollination ( if it is self fertil ) - I have pollinate my H. coccineus and I get seeds ....

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Alberto

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »
Hi Luit, I checked your bulb on the book "The Genus Haemanthus", but your bulb doesn't fit the exact description of this species. Leaves narrowly ligulate (100-)150-350 mm long, 15-35(-40) mm wide....abaxial surface speckled with red towards the base, rarely immaculate...margin red, smooth or fringed with long soft hairs.
Maybe you can take the measures of your plant.
Ciao
Alberto

North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »
Hi Luit, I checked your bulb on the book "The Genus Haemanthus", but your bulb doesn't fit the exact description of this species. Leaves narrowly ligulate (100-)150-350 mm long, 15-35(-40) mm wide....abaxial surface speckled with red towards the base, rarely immaculate...margin red, smooth or fringed with long soft hairs.
Maybe you can take the measures of your plant.
Ciao
Alberto 

Hello Alberto, the plant was sent into the weekly flowershow in Lisse by someone else.
We have looked in the book and discussed the leaves, but the grower said that the measurements
of the leaves in culture and in nature may vary, depending on the circumstances. i. e. weather, soil, how much nutrients the plant was able to take, etc. etc.!
But I will see the grower next week and ask him again.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal