We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viburnum Plicatum Tomentosum query  (Read 1135 times)

robg

Viburnum Plicatum Tomentosum query
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
I saw this at Kevock Gardens's open day on Sunday - did have to go off and do some homework to get the identification - and with SWMBO's blessing I'm looking to get one.

I need some guidance though - I'm using the D&K "A-Z Encyclopedia" and it indicates that the Tomentosum form sets red berries turning black, whereas V Plicatum is quite sterile.  Obviously the autumn colour of the berries is attractive, but when I read the commercial descriptions there is no mention of the berries, with one grower only saying that berries are set rarely.  So is there any point in going for the Tomentosum form ?

Thanks for any assistance

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Houseslippers

• Wallet-emptying plantaholic
Re: Viburnum Plicatum Tomentosum query
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »
Viburnum plicatum plicatum is the sterile form with creamy white flowers in balls; in V. plicatum tomentosum the flowers are fertile in flat heads with sterile florets forming a ruff, like a lace-cap hydrangea. I grew V. plicatum 'Lanarth' (a form of tomentosum) for its fabulous tabulated form, branches making many flat tiers of growth - very striking. It never set any berries (but neither does V. plicatum plicatum). Graham Stuart Thomas (in his 'Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos') says that you need two or more clones of V. plicatum tomentosum to get berries, so that explains the lack of berries for me.

I sense that the plicatum tomentosum forms, especially the selected forms, may be more strikingly tabulated than the plicatum plicatum forms - more architectural if you like, accentuated by the flat flower heads. My shrub wilted alarmingly in any dry period!
Tony Danford in deepest suburban south London
3 allotments and counting
This year's obsession: Paphiopedilum & Cypripedium

Onion

Re: Viburnum Plicatum Tomentosum query
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
The Viburnum plicatum forma tomentosum is not famous for large quantities of berries.
There are some nice cultivars selected for producing berries in autumn. An older cultivar is 'Cascade', not so flourish than V. plicatum tomentosum, 'Mariesii', 'Lanarth'. A newer cultivar is 'Dart's Red Robin'. Good in flowers and berries.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal