We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: propagating Eremurus  (Read 7633 times)

Alpinejan

propagating Eremurus
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
Hi Yanina's +Yan's,
Since it's indian summer in Holland ( the hottest November afther recording!!) I planted today Eremurus stenophyllus (bungei) just for sentimental reasons (a fine holiday with some rockers in Kazachstan 2005)there we spotted Eremurus,Tulips and Fritt's.
Nothing financial adventurous,since www.vantubergen.nl ask no more than euro 5.35 for 3 bulbs (Tecophelia is an different chapter). Usually living like a miser,+ learning from Scottish Friends to find strenght in myself,I would like to hear about tricks to double the amount of the E' bulbs ,preferably in no time'. Who is there to help?Tomorrow even hotter,jan schep
(visit the dutch mountains)

Gene Mirro

Re: propagating Eremurus
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:56 AM »
If you want to propagate them vegetatively, the roots can be divided.  You should Google "eremurus propagation".  There is a lot of information on the web.  However, I recommend growing from seed.  It takes a little longer, but you can get huge numbers of plants this way.  Sow the seed in a gritty mix, water, keep warm for 2 or 3 weeks, then chill at 40F (5C) for 3-4 months.  When the seedlings come up, give them strong light, but keep the soil cool.  Give them lots of bone meal and NPK fertilizer.  When they start turning brown, let the soil dry out.  If you have been living a good, clean life, you will have flowers in three years.  If you have been bad, the roots will all rot (probably because the soil was too wet during the dormant period).  It is very similar to growing tulips or frits.  Where do you get the seed?  From the plants you just bought when they bloom next Spring.  They will make hundreds of seeds.  Or you can buy seeds from Jelitto and others.  It is getting pretty late to start them this winter.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Alpinejan

Re: propagating Eremurus
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:46:43 PM »
Hey Gene, am very glad with your comprehensive advise, copied it and will try it!
Stopped this autumn training on artificial ice,for longer skatingtours on our big canalsystem will be a very rare adventure in those non-winters..... My friend in the east of the Chech Rep. complaints, never had germinating seeds in his unheated greenhouse in January. Now there are over 10 pots that did, and he can expect some frost! In climate-zone 7+ and atlantic influenced we can plant our bulbs late in Holland vanTubergen is a late deliverer. I guess winter is something different from the Oregon-type? Admire your knowledge about seeds + germinating and forwardet your experience with Gesnereacea and use of light in germinating those seeds on the forum of Dutch rockers. Once again thanks and wish you a non-winter! Jan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal