We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2011  (Read 50595 times)

arisaema

Re: Lilium 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
I would bin it, the irregular color is very typical of a viral infection. Should get a few spare yellow Nomocharis next year, just need to be sure they come true from seed.

Hakone

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
liliul martagon album

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

Wim de Goede

• Kwekerij De Schullhorn
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
I like to show you Lily langongensis it is in flower in my greenhouse yet.

Ian I like your Nomocharis  very much, a pitty I can not grow them

Wim

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
Hi Arisaema will bin it soonest, here is another picture of lilium oxypetalum with the three flowers open will send you some seed if it sets, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Pascal B

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
Hoping to get my hands on var. rubrum too one day but nevertheless a very nice Lilium, L. bakerianum var. delavayi. I hope I can self it as I only got one flowering....

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
Several nice lilies in Peter and Gill Regan's garden in Kent. Lilium martagon cattaniae, a wonderful deep mahogany-red form with glossy petals; L. martagon hybrid, quite a striking plant very different to others in the garden; L. monadelphum, the most glorious Turkish species (I have never been able to grow this well but Gill and Peter are on heavy retentive clay which maintains higher moisture levels into the summer); and a general view of part of the garden with martagons self-sowing freely.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
Tim,

they are all just beautifull.  I've tried L. monodelphum, but it never established.  Other than moisture retention, what kind of soil is this one growing in? Is it a sandy clay, or truly wet, put-it-on-the-wheel-and-throw-a-pot clay.  I have no problem with L. martagon.  Maybe I just had bad luck.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
Several nice lilies in Peter and Gill Regan's garden in Kent. Lilium martagon cattaniae, a wonderful deep mahogany-red form with glossy petals; L. martagon hybrid, quite a striking plant very different to others in the garden; L. monadelphum, the most glorious Turkish species (I have never been able to grow this well but Gill and Peter are on heavy retentive clay which maintains higher moisture levels into the summer); and a general view of part of the garden with martagons self-sowing freely.
 What a lovely garden..... looks like high summer - We've a few weeks to go before Aberdeen gets that look, if at all. Grey again now after a sunny start.
Tim, I enjoyed your super photos from the super spring garden of the late Rosemary Powis in the  website Discussion area...it too looked so inviting in the sunshine with all its colour.
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/inthegarden/Rosemary+Powiss+Garden/553/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:26:12 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
Maggie if i had to pass that front garden on my daily travels i wouldn't get anywhere,simply stunning.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
Many thanks - I am borrowing other people's gardens but that's always nice! Gill and Peter's garden is a pretty heavy clay but has been worked for so many years that it is not too difficult to plant into, except in certain areas. Gill gardens it very naturally, not removing a lot of the growth of perennials as they die down, but allowing them to be incorporated into the soil afresh. There are also quite a lot of stones and flints in the soil and this must help quite a bit with the drainage, if making it painful to put in a fork (they don't own a spade!!).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
A couple of martagons from me. i bought them both from H W Hyde last autumn

Lilium martagon albiflorum

Lilium martagon 'Red Russia'
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:12:40 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »
Very nice, Tony. I was looking at their website and am very tempted by their martagons, including the two you bought. L. m. albiflorum looks very good. Would you say Red Russian is distinctive enough to be worth having? Looks a bit like cattaniae but with a pale reverse. I'm not saying it doesn't look good in your photo, just wondering what your opinion of it 'in the flesh' is compared to cattaniae.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
Very nice, Tony. I was looking at their website and am very tempted by their martagons, including the two you bought. L. m. albiflorum looks very good. Would you say Red Russian is distinctive enough to be worth having? Looks a bit like cattaniae but with a pale reverse. I'm not saying it doesn't look good in your photo, just wondering what your opinion of it 'in the flesh' is compared to cattaniae.

Martin

a couple of pictures below,sorry they are not great but I think they illustrate the differences. The left flower is what I call cattaniae which is grown from scales I collected in N. Greece some years ago .It is a very dark small flowered plant.

Although it is a very nice plant there is no similarity with Red Russia which is as you can see different in both form and colour. The beauty of the latter is in my view the pale reverse which as the flower does not re-curve as tightly as cattaniae can be seen and makes the flowers appear to glow.

The reason I mentioned where I purchased them is that they came as really fine bulbs.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hakone

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
Lilum nepalense

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
Tony,

beautiful martagons.  I've quite a few lilies from Hyde and can only say they are a very good company, imo.  I've never been disappointed in quality and everything has grown for me, plus they are a friendly lot.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal