We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2011  (Read 50590 times)

Pascal B

Lilium 2011
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
Couldn't find a thread already but due to the plants being in the greenhouse they probably flower earlier than outside so I might as well start the Lilium 2011 thread with Lilium mackliniae. Coming from Cox it was supposed to be the dark Nagaland form but it seems too pale for that so I have to hope the seeds send by Liz Mills will eventually make me see the real thing.....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:30:49 PM by Pascal B »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Lilium 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
Pascal, I would think that that lily outside would be darker. It is likely to be rather bleached by being grown under glass.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pascal B

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
You mean because of the warmer temps? It is grown in between my Asarum and that is a heavy shaded part of the glasshouse.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
Rhododendrons, lilies, maybe even most garden plants that are grown or opened under glass have a tendency to bleached flowers.  Higher temps. less light, all add up to paler flowers.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »
Many plants with red flowers, in tropical or subtropical settings, tend to fade out to rose or orange colors when grown in lower light levels.  The red colors, due to anthocyanins, do not develop so strongly in low light levels as they do in higher light levels.  This is due to the relation of red anthocyanin pigment formation to protection from high light and especially high UV levels.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Pascal B

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »
Ok, I was unfamiliar with that effect, I was expecting the inside of the flowers to be as dark as the outside. Will ask Anne Chambers if hers are darker as she has from the same batch and grows outside.

The temperate Arisaema I grow under glass don't really seem to be bothered with this effect luckily and neither do the Asarum. Would this also cause bleaching out in between the veins of Lilium leaves? I can't really asses whether I have imported some with virus or not.... :-\ Will try to make a picture of such leaves tomorrow.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
Rhododendrons, lilies, maybe even most garden plants that are grown or opened under glass have a tendency to bleached flowers.  Higher temps. less light, all add up to paler flowers.

Absolutely right Maggi. We grow some regular L. macklinae in the greenhouse and they are faintly pink quickly aging to white. Pascal's will be sensational outdoors you can be sure.  Our gereenhouse temperatures are very cool so you can almost rule that out as a factor.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Pascal B

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
I hope Maggi agrees Nomocharis are more or less part of Lilium so I can post it here, the first Nomocharis I had in flower, N. farreri. At least, it is similar to the pictures of this species at the Genus Lilum website but can't be key'ed out with the key in the Flora of China because according to the FoC, N. farreri has no lacerate margins of the inner petals...

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
My equivalent of Pascal's Nomocharis farreri which like his is difficult to key out from the Flora of China
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Pascal B

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
I was lucky enough to get some virus-free, flowering size bulbs of Lilum rubellum last year straight from Japan and after loosing my seedgrown plants in the past I am glad to have it back and sniff the fragrance again..... :)

Oh, and yes, the pollen is really that vivid orange. I can still see it on my white shirt... :'(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Lilium oxypetalum var insigne- this one from Susan Band's List and it's a little cracker about 20cm tall. About two weeks earlier than last year.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
Very beautifull David  :)
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
Thank you Peter, it may set seed, it did last year, if you would like some PM me.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
My equivalent of Pascal's Nomocharis farreri which like his is difficult to key out from the Flora of China
Hi Tony,
To me this looks like a typical N aperta. Scattered leaves, filaments not swollen, Long style.
Cheers Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
I hope Maggi agrees Nomocharis are more or less part of Lilium so I can post it here, the first Nomocharis I had in flower, N. farreri. At least, it is similar to the pictures of this species at the Genus Lilum website but can't be key'ed out with the key in the Flora of China because according to the FoC, N. farreri has no lacerate margins of the inner petals...
Hello,
I think it fits the description in FoC quite well. At least more like farreri than anything else. One has to take aslight variation in count.
Cheers Göte
PS
My nomocharis are just emerging.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal